Question HD6950 2GB Power Connector Alarm Sounding with PCIE Plugs in

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Hi everyone, it's been a while since i've been here, but today i've got an issue that maybe someone else can share some information on.

So, I bought a MSI R6950 2GB from Ebay a few days ago, it arrived yesterday, and as I go to test the card, it loads into windows, but this horrible alarm sounds, its an extemely high pitched and constant tone, which I know means it is because the card isn't recieving enough power. I've stripped the card down and checked for any short circuits, and i've come up blank, checked the grounds, resistance and continuity of the pins and various other power related parts on the card, e.g, the MOSFETS and still not found anything, the card looks to have been water damaged in the past as it was quite heavily corroded in places.

I've attached some images below in an imgur link:

View: https://imgur.com/a/BxPIDBj

Oh one thing to add, I also have switched the cooler from the original broken and corroded cooler and fan assembly to one from my HD6970 as the fan on that works.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
What is the make/model of your PSU?
I'm using my test bench, so it's a not so great EVGA 600W W1, however I don't think it is that, since I've run many other GPU's on that PSU, and also, the previous owner of the GPU said the same thing, however I don't know the spec of PC they were using.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Your PSU should power a fully functional HD 6950/6850 (not sure which as you have both listed). I assume the 6950.

She may simply be beyond repair.
Oops, sorry I've changed the title to 6950 now, as that's what it is. Yeah I know, I run a HD5870 in that system when not using anything else, so it's the GPU, i'm gonna see what anyone else thinks before I close this thread, since ideally someone who knows how to work with electrical componets as i'm semi-competent but i'm unsure with this card. Thanks though.