HD7850 and Farcry 4?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drekerc

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I run a Saphire HD7850 2GB. No I bought Farcry 4, I thought I would be possbile to play it at Very High settings with a good fps but I can only get about 60 fps on medium! When I try high or Very high I get about 35fps which causes stuttering. I run an I7 2600k and a P8P67 Deluxe motherboard. What can cause this?

I see guys running on Ultra with this GPU :eek:

Thanks

Solution
That game is strongly biased towards Nvidia hardware and had plenty of AMD problems on release, it still runs better on the Green Teams cards than the Red, even under the 1.9 patch.
I'll give good odds that the guys running that game on ultra are at a fairly low rez, the HD7850 is a decent card but it's not going to run FC4 at 1080 rez on ultra settings vey well for the reasons above.
Of all the settings God Rays, AA and vegetation detail (Alpha to coverage I think it's called) have the largest impact on performance and turning the shadow detail down a bit helps greatly in forested areas.
Although my rig generally runs the game at or over 60 FPS in most places even its R9 290/i5 4690K combo has problems at the ultra preset in some of...

honestly you dont even know what your talking about.

holyrage

Distinguished
^ they re branded the 7950 and 7970 into the R9 280X and the R9 280 because they didn't need to make anything new

and for a fact this 28NM GPU generation LASTED WAY to freaking long my had my 7950 scenes the vapor-X went on sale i think it was back in aug?

and now it is more than 3 and half years old running games on ultra with AA turned off and In my opinion that is high end

unless we talk about crappy console ports i haven't had a single issue running games @ ultra with my GPU

PS: BF Hardline closed beta with mantle and GPU @ 1300/1900 running Ultra post processing off AA OFF Res slider @ 140% Vram usage peaked @ 2.6GB~

and i had to enable Vsync to stop the tearing

bishopi5

Distinguished

You sir, are a fool

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

My good ol' msi 7950... 1200 core for years... 8+6 pin power, basically a 7970.
Used offa ebay no less, still runs flawless on the backup pc.

Only reason I upgraded is the jump to 1440p.