HI,
I am currently using a club3d hd7970ghz royal ace
8gb vengeance
asrock z77 fatal1ty pro
i5 2500k Oced to 4.6
Xigmatek 700W PSU modular.
Xigmatek Prime CPU cooler
Coolermaster Haf 922

the problem started recently i stress tested my GPU on MSI kombuster and it didnt go beyond 78degree after running for 3 mins. on 12.11 Catalyst drivers, later on i updated the drivers and noticed that temps go beyond 80 on kombuster with strange artifacts appearing when the temps hit the 80 mark.. i asked a friend and he told me to do a windows reinstall and stick with 12.11... i did and it fixed the issue,
Now after afew weeks i was playing Brutal Legend and started getting artifacts again. i am still on 12.11 and did a stress test on kombuster and got the same artifacts at 80.

Solution
Good job man. Keep the air flow going and do make a fan curve with MSI afterburner. That heat where you're must be hard in the GPU. Better get some custom watercooling system going because it will get hotter from here, in Pakistan that is. Keep playing games and monitoring the temps. If they become stable and consistent at 65-75 then you're good. And should you start noticing artifacts again then you might want to RMA the card for a different one. Cheers!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Avoid Kombustor at all cost. If you want to know whether or not your GPU is good then run 3DMark11, Furmark, Unigine and the likes. Also, your GPU should be able to handle those temps unless you have raised the power too high. I would reset it, if you have it OC then gradually OC it until you reach a sweet spot.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

This was going to be my third comment. I think you need to set your fan speed a bit higher. I have mine running at 65% and I can't hear them at all, mind you my cards are Sapphire so you may not have the same experience. But more cooling does help with heat (no brainer) and that means no artifacts (I hope so for your sake). So put your fans at 50% fan speed and try again then go up to 70% and find a sweet spot and see what happens. Cheers!

dknightxs

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
i removed the amd drivers and followed a extensive guide on how to get rid of everything AMD with the help of driver sweeper and a guide i found on the internet... than installed the 13.2 beta 7 drivers... i ran crysis 3 for a good 30 mins with everything set to max.. ( the new drivers did improve the performance by a good degree though) found out that at the higest load i was getting 83 temp but no artifacts....
than as u suggested i tried 3d mark Firestrike... on rather high settings the fps was kinda crapy but the temps didnt go beyond 73..
retried it again with the default settings and this time got a rather nice result but with temps going around 79.

earlier this morning i ran tomb raider 's benchmark with everything set to the max including Tresfxx hair thingy and got a average fps of around 62 with temps in 70s.
I didnt manualy increase the fan speed but my fans do go up till 75% during gameing...was thinking of letting MSI afterburner handle the auto fan control as it is a bit more agressive than the catalyst AI.

I havent tried brutal legend or AC III (ac III always stresses the GPU alot)
will do that and if the problem presists going to do a fresh install of windows with new drivers and see how it works...if i am still getting the overheating issues than
club 3d comes with 2 year replace warrenty so will get it replaced.
still any other suggestions are wellcome..

Please note i live in Pakistan so we r in between winters and summers atm with room temp around 24degrees.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Good job man. Keep the air flow going and do make a fan curve with MSI afterburner. That heat where you're must be hard in the GPU. Better get some custom watercooling system going because it will get hotter from here, in Pakistan that is. Keep playing games and monitoring the temps. If they become stable and consistent at 65-75 then you're good. And should you start noticing artifacts again then you might want to RMA the card for a different one. Cheers!

Solution

dknightxs

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
alrite, as i said am using a haf 922 case...with around 7 fans by xigmatek... the side panel 200mm fan i have disabled but am thinking of reactivating it again to get a even better airflow. Ty for all the help mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.