[SOLVED] HDD 0% Fragmented is a lie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2020
TLDR:Windows 10 says disk is 1% fragmented
Piriform Defraggler says disk is 65% fragmented
Iobit defraggler says disk is 65% fragmented

Guys for ages my hdd/ssd shows 0% fragmented when i analyze them recently i saw my hdd at 1% fragmented so i downloaded

Defraggler (i actually downloaded 2 different ones to confirm) the piriform one and the iobit one and they both show my disk at 65% fragmented while Original Windows tool tells me 1%

Any ideas on wtf is going on?

Update i am using Windows 10 fully updated last build

Last edited:
Solution
Windows 10 says disk is 1% fragmented
Windows, by default, is set to automatically defrag drives on a regular basis (weekly, by default). Or, in the case of SSD's run trim. The other two (Piriform and lobit) use a different algorithm than the builtin to determine fragmented/defragmented and that accounts for the difference in reported fragmentation. Pick one and stick with it. Do not use multiple defraggers.
that depends on which (de)fragmentation u looking for
windows 7 or never will just look for files which are stored all over your drive (fragmented) and put them together (single file, single place on drive) and will not look for if files which are in same folder are stored on drive close to each other, this kind of defragmentation is fast (files are randomly stored on drive, but they arent fragmented(split into multiple parts))
older windows (since windows 95 up to XP (not sure about vista tbh)) will not really care about what fragmentation u currently have and will move all files/folders one by one at start of your drive an keep moving files so they all can be together, which doesnt really make sence, sine u mostly wont run all those files sequentially anyway

thats windows defrag
as for your two defrags, thats what windows was doin before, wasting time

Jan 31, 2020
that depends on which (de)fragmentation u looking for
windows 7 or never will just look for files which are stored all over your drive (fragmented) and put them together (single file, single place on drive) and will not look for if files which are in same folder are stored on drive close to each other, this kind of defragmentation is fast (files are randomly stored on drive, but they arent fragmented(split into multiple parts))
older windows (since windows 95 up to XP (not sure about vista tbh)) will not really care about what fragmentation u currently have and will move all files/folders one by one at start of your drive an keep moving files so they all can be together, which doesnt really make sence, sine u mostly wont run all those files sequentially anyway

thats windows defrag
as for your two defrags, thats what windows was doin before, wasting time

Thanks for the time replying im using most updated windows 10

Windows 10 says disk is 1% fragmented
Windows, by default, is set to automatically defrag drives on a regular basis (weekly, by default). Or, in the case of SSD's run trim. The other two (Piriform and lobit) use a different algorithm than the builtin to determine fragmented/defragmented and that accounts for the difference in reported fragmentation. Pick one and stick with it. Do not use multiple defraggers.

Solution
okay..lets do small test
open piriform defraggler
analyze drive
click on any deep red square (fragmented)
u will see list of files with amounts of fragments
right click some heavy fragmented file and click on benchmark file
do the same on random file with 1 fragment
feel free to repeat on some other random files
see if u see any speed improvements between fragmented and nonfragmented files (try to test files around similar area, on HDD fastest speeds are at start of drive, then it goes down more u goes to the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS