[SOLVED] HDD 100% Active 0 Read speed

daroon29

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Hi all,

My HDD (Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB) that I bought in the past year is having the same issue as the one I replaced it with - it's running at 100% active time consistently with read speeds often at 0 MB/s. This is happening constantly at start up.

I've run into this issue before and I replaced the drive back in December but it seems to have returned. Is there anything inside of my PC with other hardware that could be causing this issue?

Most fixes I've run into either A.) Don't fix the issue or B.) Simply say the hard drive is failing.

Is there a possible fix here or do I just have bad luck with hard drives?

Happy to provide more information, just not sure what would be necessary off the bat.

~

Device name DESKTOP-MP0869U
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID B7677255-EA19-42D2-B50A-6EAABABEB043
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA058
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Solution
Bob beat me to it.

Storage devices have SMART registers that software can read to get an idea of how the drive's self-diagnostic think the drive is performing and whether a failure may be pending. Crystal DiskInfo can read those register and warn if there are likely failure indicators by highlighting the problematic values such as reallocated sector count.

Drive stuck at 100% activity with no reads or writes actually getting through is very often a sign of a faulty drive stuck on an internal error or retrying a bad sector which often has the side-effect of making the bad sector worse. Data recovery shops can disable the HDD's auto-retry to get as much data off of the drive on the first pass as possible before risking further drive...
Hi all,

My HDD (Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB) that I bought in the past year is having the same issue as the one I replaced it with - it's running at 100% active time consistently with read speeds often at 0 MB/s. This is happening constantly at start up.

I've run into this issue before and I replaced the drive back in December but it seems to have returned. Is there anything inside of my PC with other hardware that could be causing this issue?

Most fixes I've run into either A.) Don't fix the issue or B.) Simply say the hard drive is failing.

Happy to provide more information, just not sure what would be necessary off the bat.

~

Device name DESKTOP-MP0869U
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID B7677255-EA19-42D2-B50A-6EAABABEB043
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA058
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Grab a copy of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot of the seagate.

InvalidError

Titan
Bob beat me to it.

Storage devices have SMART registers that software can read to get an idea of how the drive's self-diagnostic think the drive is performing and whether a failure may be pending. Crystal DiskInfo can read those register and warn if there are likely failure indicators by highlighting the problematic values such as reallocated sector count.

Drive stuck at 100% activity with no reads or writes actually getting through is very often a sign of a faulty drive stuck on an internal error or retrying a bad sector which often has the side-effect of making the bad sector worse. Data recovery shops can disable the HDD's auto-retry to get as much data off of the drive on the first pass as possible before risking further drive damage attempting to recover the weak, bad or otherwise problematic sectors.

Solution

daroon29

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Bob beat me to it.

Drive stuck at 100% activity with no reads or writes actually getting through is very often a sign of a faulty drive stuck on an internal error or retrying a bad sector which often has the side-effect of making the bad sector worse. Data recovery shops can disable the HDD's auto-retry to get as much data off of the drive on the first pass as possible before risking further drive damage attempting to recover the weak, bad or otherwise problematic sectors.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Dhjk1MH

InvalidError

Titan
No uncorrectable errors, no reallocated sectors, no pending sectors. Looks like the drive should still be physically fine.

No UDMA errors either, so the interface between the chipset and HDD appears to be working fine too.

No obvious issue here. Try the drive in a different computer or in an UASP-capable external USB3 enclosure to see if the drive still behaves the same when connected to a completely differet host controller.

The drive health is fine. You're using it for purposes, it is not designed for.

Do not install windows on Seagate Barracuda. That is SMR drive. Usable for write once/read only type workloads like archives, backups, user media libraries. Not usable for installing windows on it.
Windows reads/writes to OS drive all the time. On SMR drive any write also overwrites neighboring tracks. Drive has to correct overwritten data in background and that causes additional disk utilization.

For OS drive get yourself an SSD.