HDD 100% disk usage on idle but 0% usage on SMART scan

Sep 23, 2018
Recently I got a new internal HDD ( replaced old one which had bad sectors ) for my HP Pavilion au003tx laptop and it has been giving me micro-stutters and random freezes.

Even playing a 720p video in VLC was causing random freezes. I tried every possible fix - Update all drivers/Windows, disabled almost everything on Win 10 ( search, Superfetch, BITS, Auto Updater, background Apps, Telemetry, Tips and more ), chkdsk and defragged the drive, removed all programs from Startup but to no rescue. CrystalDiskInfo and SMART tests also gave no problem.

Task Manager shows 0 kbps Read/Write but 100%disk usage ( sometimes a plateau graph and sometimes spikes in every alternate second ) I have been using Resource Monitor and only process is System.

I started thinking that my hard drive was gone again. Weird thing was playing games on 720p resolution was causing almost no problems ( maybe a couple framedrops ). So, here is something crazy I noticed, I downloaded HDDScan software for scanning my HDD and while it was doing the extended SMART test there is 0-2% disk usage during the entire scan( with rare spikes to 20-30% ). I even watched an entire 2 hour 720p movie with no stutter/lag ( with the scan in background )

PS. It is a fresh install ( 2 weeks back ) and i don't use Antivirus as well.

UPDATE : My bad reg. CrystalDiskInfo ( I only did SMART Scan using HP Diagnostic tool) - CDI is showing Caution - Reallocated sector count as 595 ... but an extended error scan with HD Tune revealed No damaged block ( all green ). So could RSC be the issue ? If so why is the performance good when HDD is being used compared to when it is idle!

alexbecksilva.99

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Honestly, I don't think anyone knows an exact answer to this problem. I had this problem on a brand new laptop I bought since it's first startup and after many tries to fix it (all the solutions you listed) I decided to clean install Windows 10. After that, I got all the latest Windows updates installed, uninstalled Norton (eww), disabled unneeded startup programs and I finally noticed that my problem had vanished. I have no idea what exactly stopped this problem in these steps and I wish I knew, so fortunately now I don't suffer from stutters and slowness on my laptop. If you don't mind doing a clean install then this MIGHT help you, as I said I don't know what exactly made it stop.

Sep 23, 2018

Please see the update.

Also, it is a clean install with minimal installed softwares. ( Windows 10 + VLC + Steam with couple games )