[SOLVED] HDD 100% USAGE 0Kb/s READ AND WRITE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
(sorry for my bad English).
Hello i have a ssd and hdd. my windows is installed in ssd. sometimes the hdd usage gets up to 100% with 0kb/s read and write and every restart it start repairing my drive D (hdd drive)
and it takes forever to finish. I tried everything (disabling windows defender. windows services. doing a virus scan . SMART check and the hdd was fine ). I did a clean install windows and it was working fine for a week and the problem returned. So i connected my hdd to my brothers pc formated it and took his hdd. my hdd is working fine until now in my brother pc . when i connected The other hdd (which i took from my brother) in my pc it worked fine for a week. then the same problem.
PC speces:
Ryzen 5 2400g
A320 MK PRIME ASUS
VEGA 11 APU
250W PSU
16GB RAM
ADATA SU 650 120GB SSD
500GB WD GREEN HDD
UxAfmBh.png

Last edited:

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Some folks will forgive a drive for having one pending/bad sector issue, if the count does not begin gradually increasing...(I've seen a drive in the above condition not deteriorate further even after a year of continued office environment use)

However, it likely should not be a drive you now want to solely depend on for critical backups.
if i format the disk the bad sector will be fixed. like i did before. see above.

popatim

Titan
Well,, that rules out acoustic related errors.
Replaced the Sata cable?
Checked your PSU's voltages? ( I forgot that you already listed your PSU's voltages)

Perhaps it's age related, whats the manufacture date on the label?

Run a full check disk on the drive?
  • open an Admin level CMD prompt
  • enter the command chkdsk d: /r

This will take some time to complete as it will run a surface scan of the entire drive. Please do this when you have a several hours that you wont need the pc . If you don't have a backup of your important stuff then do that first!

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Replaced the Sata cable?
Checked your PSU's voltages? ( I forgot that you already listed your PSU's voltages)

This will take some time to complete as it will run a surface scan of the entire drive. Please do this when you have a several hours that you wont need the pc . If you don't have a backup of your important stuff then do that first!
19may 2009. i will replace the sata cable and do a Full check disk.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
I cant do a full check disk because when i plug the hdd the pc f
Replaced the Sata cable?

I bought a new sata cable and did a drive check with
chkdsk d: /r.
I get this error
GkRH4qj.png

So i decided to move the hdd to my other pc . i did a format and chkdsk check. working prefect no pending sectors. So i moved the hdd back to my pc and boom the hdd is so slow and i get pending sectors

popatim

Titan
I've heard of false positives but I'm concerned about the drive saying you don't have enough space to replace bad clusters. How full is this drive?

About the pending sectors, The full drive may be why they don't go away?
I've also heard that sometimes heat can be a source of the issue: the drive cools off when not in use which is when the drive would retest itself. Open the case and point a fan at it and see if ti helps.
I've also heard that wiping the drive, partitions & all, and reformtting it in another system fixed this issue as well.

Some folks will forgive a drive for having one pending/bad sector issue, if the count does not begin gradually increasing...(I've seen a drive in the above condition not deteriorate further even after a year of continued office environment use)

However, it likely should not be a drive you now want to solely depend on for critical backups.
Where there is one visible there are hundreds more that the drive was able to mark and replace invisibly. You only begin to see them when that table of spare sectors has become exhausted. At that point the drive is toast and needs to be replaced ASAP.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
I've heard of false positives but I'm concerned about the drive saying you don't have enough space to replace bad clusters. How full is this drive?

About the pending sectors, The full drive may be why they don't go away?
I've also heard that sometimes heat can be a source of the issue: the drive cools off when not in use which is when the drive would retest itself. Open the case and point a fan at it and see if ti helps.
I've also heard that wiping the drive, partitions & all, and reformtting it in another system fixed this issue as well.
I did a full format in the other pc and tested it for like 10 hours working fine . but when i connect the hdd to my pc and spent like 2 hours playing CS GO the hdd start going to 100 usage and the pending sectors are back. I have my case already opened and the temperature of the hdd is always 30.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Where there is one visible there are hundreds more that the drive was able to mark and replace invisibly. You only begin to see them when that table of spare sectors has become exhausted. At that point the drive is toast and needs to be replaced ASAP.
but in my hdd when i do a full format the pending sectors disappear.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
And will return in time. Pending (weak) and outright bad sectors are telling you something. You would be wise to listen.
Not sure. i had this problem in my original hdd .
so I swapped my hard drive for my brother's hard disk.
his hdd worked fine for me 1 week then i got this problem. and my first hdd is working fine until now in my brothers pc no problem for weeks.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
A hard drive (especially an 11 year old drive) can fail at ANY time with NO warning whatsoever. Here you have a drive telling you that it has problems. You would be well advised to listen to what it is telling you. However, it's your data, do what you want.
my original hdd is 3 years old . So why the hdd is working fine in the other pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.