HDD About to die, I need to make sure my SSD will be bootable.

Bill Hatzis

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hello, for the past 3 years I've been using an SSD, which has Windows 7 installed on it and an old HDD which I use for storing data. Unfortunately I messed up as usual during Windows installation and made the HDD part of the system and much worse, as I found out today, the HDD contains the bootMGR files.

So today, my HDD suddenly stopped working. I was expecting this to happen for 4 months now and I was prepared. I had backed up my files and even made a USB repair tool, just in case.

I restarted Windows so I could remove the HDD, but to my surprise I got the dreaded "missing bootMGR" error. It's ok I thought, I have this USB repair tool ready. Well that didn't do anything remotely useful , it couldn't find and repair the missing boot files.

So I was ready to format the SSD, when I thought I'd try to boot from the HDD one last time and thankfully it worked, the HDD came back to life, so I've been given a second chance to fix the boot files.

I searched the internet and found this http:// so I did exactly what the helper suggested, since my SSD was named C:\ too:

"Boot into Win 7, open an administrative command prompt and type the following and hit enter after:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

This will put the boot files on the C: partition. You should now be able to change the active partition to C: and boot."

Now, I don't know exactly if that would help in my situation, since my SSD already claimed to be the boot drive and the active partition. And since the HDD is back from the dead, I can't be sure if the SSD has become bootable.

TL;DR I need help to make my SSD the only hard drive needed to start and operate Windows, so when my HDD dies I won't have to format and start from scratch. Here is a screenshot of the current disk situtation
4cnNWjt.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Touching it isn't going to kill it. Typically there is a 100MB system partition needed to boot. This can't be assigned a drive letter so it makes me believe E is not being used. If I were to see that it doesn't have one, I'd say it wouldn't boot but somehow you did already. There's no 100% way to know unless you unplug it.

Bill Hatzis

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I really don't want to risk messing physically with the HDD, I know for sure that it's on it's last breaths, I just want to know how to remove the HDD from being necessary for Windows functionality.

Touching it isn't going to kill it. Typically there is a 100MB system partition needed to boot. This can't be assigned a drive letter so it makes me believe E is not being used. If I were to see that it doesn't have one, I'd say it wouldn't boot but somehow you did already. There's no 100% way to know unless you unplug it.

Solution

Bill Hatzis

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

OK, I unplugged the HDD and Windows booted normally without it. But why does it work now without the HDD? Did the "bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:" command fixed the boot files?

Bill Hatzis

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Alright, thank you very much for your time and aid :)