Question HDD activity time suddenly rises and stays at 100%, response time 4000-12000ms ?

FTRek

Commendable
Jun 16, 2019
My problem is with HDD basically becoming unresponsive with 100% activity time and 4000+ ms response time. I could not find a solution so I decided to just buy new HDD and SATA cable and be done with it but the problem remains.

Things I already tried.
  • I tried fixing the issue by replacing both SATA cable AND HDD drive itself (this is a new drive now!!) and the problem persists. Therefore it's probably not SATA cable or Drive fault.
  • Changing ports on motherboard does not seem to do anything. The same port works just fine for SSD but when I try using HDD on it, the problem comes back.
  • I ran full scan with windows defender. I never visit sus sites or download anything sus though.
  • Bios drivers, windows and graphic drivers are all up to date.
  • I tried switching cable and port coming out of my power supply.
I found someone with similar issue here https://superuser.com/questions/153...e-3-7mb-s-transfer-rate-after-moving-my-pictu but there's no solutions. and I also moved all my libraries to HDD because I don't want useless files taking my precious NVME space. The problem happens completely randomly, it can be working just fine for extended period and then bam and PC becomes really sluggish because HDD is at 100% activity/usage, even though my windows is installed on nvme and has nothing to do with this HDD.

I also have another problem which is the fact that game RDR2 loads exceptionally long (2+ minutes) on my NVME drive, something that should apparently take 40 seconds tops on SSD, maybe it's somehow connected to my HDD issue.
I am struggling with this issue for 3 months and spent money trying to replace things trying to find the cause, and yet the problem is still here. :(

HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" SATA III
Motherboard - MSI B450-A PRO MAX

This is basically how it looks at task manager (I could not screenshot anything myself because pc becomes really sluggish and unresponsive and nothing works)

View: https://i.imgur.com/a7mXYti.png

I have lots of issues irl and I also need my pc for work etc so I am really desperate at this point, please help. :(

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. As for your motherboard, it's a good idea to mention the BIOS version as opposed to stating latest.

FTRek

Commendable
Jun 16, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. As for your motherboard, it's a good idea to mention the BIOS version as opposed to stating latest.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3.6GHz
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX (BIOS ver. 7B86vME )
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V, DDR4, 16 GB, 3200MHz, CL16
SSD/HDD: SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 512 GB M.2, WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" SATA III
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W

Just go in task manager and see what uses disk, change numbers to % (to show activity in %)

I went into resource monitor and absolutely nothing was using the disk. Or at least nothing was showing.
I don't have any programs or games running from HDD so it would make sense. Everything that I use on daily basis is located on my SSDs and I only use HDD for programs I rarely use (I never run them in the background) and storage of videos etc.

Another thing I noticed is whenever I play demanding game (like RDR2), the HDD gets locked at 100% usage pretty quickly, even though it has nothing to do with RDR2 itself since both RDR2 and steam are on separate drive entirely.

I tried disabling few services like windows update, windows search and couple others that were apparently possible culprits but nothing worked so far. For now I was forced to remove HDD from my pc entirely for now since it makes my computer unusable.

My common sense is pointing towards something being wrong with motherboard because I had same exact issue with previous HDD but then why are SSDs unaffected by this (seemingly)?

Hoy0JiU.png

Last edited: