HDD and CD/DVD drive worked for 7 months, now Windows 7 won't recognize them (or any other drive aside from my SSD)

MaximusGluteus

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
My computer had been running a Corsair SSD (boot drive), WD Blue HDD (data drive), and a CD/DVD drive with no problems for about 7 months. I tried using a USB adapter to access a couple hard drives I have so I could back up my data, but Windows 7 wouldn't recognize them at all (the adapter works fine on my wife's computer, also running Windows 7), so I installed the drives into the computer and that's when the major problems started. Neither drive showed up in My Computer or in Disk Management, but they did show up under Other Devices in Device Manager. I pulled those two HDDs back out, and then Windows 7 kept losing connection with my data drive, until eventually it no longer saw it at all (shows up under Other Devices in Device Manager, but nowhere else), even though it is show in the BIOS. I've reinstalled the SATA drivers several times, updated the BIOS several times, reset the CMOS several times, switched SATA cables, tried different SATA ports, tried different BIOS settings, tried updating drivers from the device manager, all to no avail. SATA in BIOS is set to AHCI, all ports are set to SATA, all ports are powered on. I have had zero problems with the SSD boot drive on port 0, but anything else I plug in to the SATA ports isn't recognized by Windows 7, even though it is in the BIOS.

I ended up doing an RMA on the motherboard (Gigabyte 970A-UD3P) since I initially thought that was the problem (it had a dead fan header so it needed to be replaced anyway). After I installed the new motherboard, the data drive showed up in Disk Management, but every time I tried to assign a letter to the drive, I would get an error message. I ended up uninstalling the driver from that drive in Device Manager (it was showing in Disk Drives), but all that did was kick the drive back to Other Devices, and it is no longer shown at all in Disk Management, although it is shown in the BIOS. Windows 7 has now all of a sudden stopped detecting my CD/DVD drive as well (it is also now shown only in Other Devices in the Device Manager and in the BIOS, but not in Disk Management).

I've searched and searched for solutions, tried everything I can think of, but don't know what else to do. The only thing I can think to do next is reinstall Windows 7, but I'd rather get this working without doing that if possible.

Any ideas on what's going on? I'm stumped.