[SOLVED] HDD and SSD Combo

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Alright so I have multiple options right now for what I wanna get.

First, I can get this combo
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-3-5-Inch-ST2000DM006/dp/B07GFZJGMV/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1547339243&sr=1-3&keywords=2tb%2Bhdd&th=1
It has a 1tb HDD and a 250gb SSD and is from a reputable company, $117

I can also get the 2TB version of the barracuda, and then go on microcenter and get a 480gb ssd both (https://www.microcenter.com/product/503405/480gb-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(480g)) for around the same price, (110, so it technically is the best deal) [The 2tb barracuda on microcenter is for store pickup only so]

Or I can just get a 1tb SSD for $120 on microcenter

Not sure how reputable inland is, or microcenter as a whole. I mainly want the SSD to be able to have a seperate one for games that need an ssd to run well, so I feel as if the 480gb mixed with the 2tb barracuda.

If Inland and Microcenter have a decent reputation then I'll probably get the 2tb from Amazon and the 480 from microcenter. Anyone ever use the site?

Solution
1) First, I recommend you have a SEPARATE SSD and HDD so that you can setup an automated backup solution of the Windows partition using a tool like Acronis True Image (i.e. weekly, incremental, auto delete all but last chain.. )

Especially since I'm not sure how good those SSD's are. But I'd do it no matter what.

2) Crucial MX500 is one of the best values right now though 1TB may be difficult to justify and again I'd still have an HDD for backup.

3) IMO you want at least 500GB for an SSD if you want some games on it. Some games are HUGE. After OP (Overprovisioning) of which I'd do a custom 5% for 500GB+ etc you'd probably have roughly 400GB usable.. assume Windows on a gaming rig ends up close to 100GB over time (varies a bit but it...
1) First, I recommend you have a SEPARATE SSD and HDD so that you can setup an automated backup solution of the Windows partition using a tool like Acronis True Image (i.e. weekly, incremental, auto delete all but last chain.. )

Especially since I'm not sure how good those SSD's are. But I'd do it no matter what.

2) Crucial MX500 is one of the best values right now though 1TB may be difficult to justify and again I'd still have an HDD for backup.

3) IMO you want at least 500GB for an SSD if you want some games on it. Some games are HUGE. After OP (Overprovisioning) of which I'd do a custom 5% for 500GB+ etc you'd probably have roughly 400GB usable.. assume Windows on a gaming rig ends up close to 100GB over time (varies a bit but it usually creeps up there, plus there's big UPDATES you need space for etc).

So let's call that 300GB left over for "500GB" SSD and 50GB to 100GB max for games on a 250GB.

3) 1TB HDD?
2TB doesn't cost that much more usually. If budget is tight I guess you can always buy another HDD later if need be but I'd get a 2TB HDD if possible.

4) FYI, the games that SSD helped for me most where:
a) SKYRIM (helps with load times including buildings, jump map points etc.... tedious without)
b) PREY from Bethesda (has odd, horrible STUTTERING due to texture loading otherwise unless they fixed that since)

Probably other Bethesda games are problematic too, though I do know that Fallout 3 and New Vegas major stutter issues were fixed for me by using the stutter fix (Nexus Mods I believe) and more importantly the "ifpsclamp=60" fix for the INI (Google it if need be)... Fallout 3 also needs a dual-core INI fix.

SO...
Personally, I'd go with one of these options depending on budget:

1) 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD
(but get a good SSD like Samsung or Corsair MX500; then buy another SSD if needed for games that benefit)

2) 500GB SSD + 1TB
(and buy another HDD as needed if backup/games run out of space)

3) 500GB SSD + 2TB+ HDD
- only with a good SSD... again due to backup Image and game sizes you may find you end up needing this anyway. I have no idea how much space you need though.

*I strongly, strongly recommend against an SSD that you don't know is reliable. You will *** curse yourself for saving a little money if you have problems, especially if you did not setup a backup IMAGE solution.

Solution