Question HDD and SSD on caddy transfer speeds

Luisito3107

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
I have a ProBook 4540s with a 2 TB HDD, and recently I replaced the optical bay with a 12.7mm caddy to add a 1 TB SSD.
I checked with HWInfo and both SATA ports in my laptop aren't speed limited, and are detected as SATA 6.0 Gb/s.
The laptop can boot properly from the SSD at maximum transfer speed (560 MB/s), but when HDD is present as well, the SSD speed decreases to 190 to 300 MB/s.
I was thinking of switching the SSD to the main SATA port and the HDD to the caddy, but I read in some places that the maximum amount you can add in a caddy is 1 TB and my HDD is 2 TB.

It's recommended to switch the drives? What could happen to my HDD if I exceed that 1 TB limit? Should I try something else?

falcon291

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019
I doubt that there is a limit to caddy drive, and I also doubt that HDD presence decreases the SSD speed.

Raw speed is different and higher than the actual speed. How did you test SSD speed?

Luisito3107

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
I doubt that there is a limit to caddy drive, and I also doubt that HDD presence decreases the SSD speed.

Raw speed is different and higher than the actual speed. How did you test SSD speed?
I tested the SSD speed under multiple conditions and in multiple devices. I used CrystalDiskMark, MiniTool Partition Wizard and Hard Disk Sentinel.
The first test I did was connecting the SSD through a SATA to USB adapter, but all the others I did by connecting the SSD in the caddy or on the main board.
I was thinking this could be a voltage problem. That perhaps, although the SATA port on the motherboard is not limited, it is not designed for those transfer speeds (when working in parallel with the HDD).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS