HDD and SSD significantly slower in practice than Samsung Magician is telling me

louisbonjwa

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
So I just ran some benchmarks on Magician and the results were as follows

SSD
Read: 558MB/s
Write: 441MB/s

HDD
Read: 25MB/s
Write: 90MB/s

In practice however when I check out my "disk transfer rate in task manager for my SSD and HDD they rarely even get out of the KB/s figure and both are constantly hitting 100% active time whilst doing practically nothing.

Seeing as my benchmarks are fine I assume something in my computer must be throttling the speeds of my drives significantly for some reason. The highest I've seen my drives reach is 15MB/S which is about 30x less than my SSD should be giving me and it is making my PC almost unusable as simply opening chrome can tank my computer's speed by providing 100% active time on whichever drive is being used.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can remove something capping my read and write speeds if there is anything I can do at all?

Solution
This depends on several factors.

1. What are you copying to and from?
That uber SSD speed would only be seen if copying a single large file to another SSD.

2. What type of data?
If a whole bunch of smaller file, it WILL be a lot slower. The SSD much, much faster due to access time, but still slower.
Best benchmark is real example:
get ISO image and copy it from pendrive to those 2.
SSD Disc tend to burst first few second, so it can be 500MB/s for 3 sec and then 80MB/s
for HDD that's what you get when disc is close to full :) check if you have ~20% free.
also check what SATA port you're using. Sometimes they are shared with something else, like DVD or HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on several factors.

1. What are you copying to and from?
That uber SSD speed would only be seen if copying a single large file to another SSD.

2. What type of data?
If a whole bunch of smaller file, it WILL be a lot slower. The SSD much, much faster due to access time, but still slower.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from louisbonjwa : "HDD and SSD reaching 100% active time with little to no activity"