vondz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Well I'm getting 2x Spintpoint F3's tomorrow and gunna stick them in raid 0. But anyway I was wandering looking at a couple of threads on different forums I saw someone got his read and write to 296 MB/s in raid 0 and thats quite close to some SSDs but the only difference I saw was that the 4k and 512k (Dunno what they are saw them in the test) are much slower, anyway my question is what are the 4k and 512k actually used for as I have no idea ;'P

Hard drives in RAID 0 may be able to get transfer rates similar to SSDs, but they'll never get anywhere near the same access times. SSD access times are about 100 times faster than any hard drive, even if the hard drives are RAIDed.

Just a heads up that you shouldn't expect to get SSD type performance from RAIDed hard drives.

I/O tests with 4K blocks typically simulate the kind of random I/O you get when doing things like booting the system or starting programs. The reason they're so much slower is that they depend heavily on the drive's access time. That's where SSDs shine, and why people are willing to pay extra for them.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Look man, dont take this wrong...but go try it out. Fire up those drive, install Windows and test. There are many variables in these things and guessing what you have done doesnt help.

It doenst cost anything to install Windows except some time and you get fuller brain cells

:)

vondz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Cheers mate, just the answer I was looking for ;). In the future I might be more willing to spend a bit more cash on a SSD but IMO at the price they are at the moment to me its just not worth it =]

vondz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

I don't quite understand what your saying, I don't think you read what I was asking correctly?

I borrow a SSD from my friend sometime ago.. I got addicted to it...as he wanted it back...my heart broke to pieces...
now that I have got some money (after a lot of saving)...I bought it :D it just came a few hours ago... :D along with the new PSU and HD5850 :D