HDD bad sectors

andrei96399

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Greetings, I have a 1TB HDD WD for almost three years and it worked well with the exceptions of a few times when it started to hang my computer. I picked up a SSD and put my OS on it and things settled for some time.

However the HDD started to hang my computer.(example: After I turn on the computer and I enter the windows it is unsuable, everything loading 10x longer. This is happening on a fresh install of windows with no programs enabled at startup)

I used some programs to detect and repair the problems but none did work:
-AIDA 64: detected 44 bad sectors
-Disk cleanup from windows: defragmentated the HDD
-Disk check from Puran Software: ran scans and fixes(the scans didnt detect any problems)
-I tried to use the Windows disk scan and repair: it went up to 9~10% than it was stuck for hours and I closed the pc as there was no hope for a fix
-I used "chkdsk" but it didn't work(no problems were found)

TL;DR: 44 bad sectors detected, pc is hanging, freezing, stuttering unless I restart from time to time.

Is there anything I can do to lower this awful performance or buy another HDD? Thanks for helping!

Solution
Hi

Seagate & Western Digital have diagnostic programs on their websites, some for Windows some with ISO images for putting on a CD running under dos

Hirens CD has a collection of diagnostics for hard disks including manufacturers no longer making hard drives (though it has not been updated for a while)

It has Western Digital Data LifeGuard 4 Windows (via Mini XP)
WD version will test any brand and can do repairs on WD brand disks with minor problems with bad sectors

Trying to run defrag on a bad hard disk is a very bad idea.

Ideally if bad sectors are confirmed then it is time to buy a new hard drive

Copying a hard drive with bad sectors can be problematic
programs like ddrescue can often succeed where others fail

regards
Mike...
Hi

Seagate & Western Digital have diagnostic programs on their websites, some for Windows some with ISO images for putting on a CD running under dos

Hirens CD has a collection of diagnostics for hard disks including manufacturers no longer making hard drives (though it has not been updated for a while)

It has Western Digital Data LifeGuard 4 Windows (via Mini XP)
WD version will test any brand and can do repairs on WD brand disks with minor problems with bad sectors

Trying to run defrag on a bad hard disk is a very bad idea.

Ideally if bad sectors are confirmed then it is time to buy a new hard drive

Copying a hard drive with bad sectors can be problematic
programs like ddrescue can often succeed where others fail

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

rexll5

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Once a HDD has got to the point of having bad sectors / Errors , It's really hard to be able to transfer everything over such as windows.
If you are still able to use that Hard drive just for the sake of getting the important files and moving them over to a USB.

I recommend using SSD's and backing it up on a separate HDD every 3 months / ( When you have time ) But don't get my wrong SSD's can have problems as well but far less than HDD. I worked on a PC before than wanted to move HDD to a SSD and while doing so I realised that the HDD had alot of problems with it and Crucial windows files never transferd

So Yes I recommend you getting a new SSD/HDD SSD More preferred

TRENDING THREADS