HDD becomes inaccessible if left plugged in overnight

Zombie_Erebus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Ok. So this is a really curious issue that's hard to explain and harder to figure out but here goes:
I know something is broken on my PC and I suspect my PSU so this may be just one other symptom or it could be something else and I just want to confirm.

Basically my D: drive (internal Samsung 1TB HDD) starts becoming inaccessible if I leave my PC plugged into the mains overnight.

Now, exactly what happens is: when I try to load a game stored on the drive it will disconnect and reconnect after 1 second, causing the game launcher to ask for an installation path. However if I do unplug it overnight then (the next day when I plug it back in) there are seemingly no issues with accessing anything on the harddrive.

It has been happening for a number of days now and if I don't unplug it overnight, whilst I can use my C: perfectly fine (internal SanDisk 240GB SSD) I have to unplug my D: from the PSU for quite some time before I can plug it back in and use it again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ADD: I tried to do an error check to see if there were bad sectors and caused the HDD to disconnect and then reconnect whilst making a *whirrrr, chirrr-thuck* kinda noise as if the disk suddenly spooled back up and the head was moving back and forth rapidly. I may be interpreting the noise wrong but I'm trying my best to troubleshoot atm.

Solution
Man if that is the case i'd probably just go ahead and get a new PSU.

It will at least help you eliminate one potential cause..

Zombie_Erebus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Apologies, I forgot to specify.

It is an internal Seagate ST1000DM003 (1TB). It is connected via a molex to sata power connector.

That is odd!

This might sound kind of silly, but have you tried using a different sata port on the motherboard?
I have a hard time blaming a PSU for a HDD disconnecting, even when using a Molex to SATA adapter.

Zombie_Erebus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Yeah, I have, I've tried using different adaptors and different data cables and still the same issue. I was wondering if maybe it wasn't supplying enough power which could explain it powering down and then back up, idk though. There's so many things going wrong at the moment it's hard to pinpoint what is causing what kind of thing.

Yeah, I do agree. Though I honestly have no idea what is going wrong, I do have a feeling the PSU is going as it is extremely old and from a generic manufacturer but wasn't sure if there was a possible correlation between my HDD being strange or whether my entire PC is just "giving up the ghost" and I should just scrap the thing and start again.
(Also, thanks for the replies/help)