HDD Beeping/Clicking Noise

apakhe

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello!

I have a Seageate Baracuda 160Gb ATA/IDE and sometimes it makes a strange noise, same as a Beeping or a Clicking... I don't know why.
Yesterday I tried to connect one of my side fans to the PSU and after I turned the PC on it strated beeping and Windows booting slowly, but after i took the fan off everything was normal.

It isnt only the fan:
3 days ago, after a fresh instalation of Windows 7 it did it again, I connected an old ATA/IDE Cable to it and it seemd to be fine.

Is there anyway to fix this thing... except buying a new one :D.

Note: The little bastard is almost 7 years old...

Thanx!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Sounds like it's going bad, I would probably just replace it if it's 7 years old. Even if you could squeeze a little more life out of it, there is no telling when it will go bad on you. You got your money's worth out of it if it's 7 years old, let it have a peaceful death...

arpit2141

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I am agree with (TokenCOde) , Take as much benefit from it as you can because time has come when your it will lost your company.

and if you get sound like clicking and beeping from it then it's indicate that it will fail soon.

imdprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure if I can bump in

But please don't mind

I have a similar situation, I can feel the computer slowing down as well

I want to remove the HDD and start using Windows & same settings on another drive

What can I do?

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012

Changing HDD means you will have to reinstall your OS and all of your applications... just back up file and documents, or saved game folders..

StellarPhoenixS

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Sometimes drives can make sounds if they are not getting proper power supply. If teh drive is not making anymore sounds then maybe that was what was making those sounds in the very first place. Still dont forget to regularly take back-ups. You can be at high risk of hard drive failure now.

imdprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

How did you know the drives weren't making anymore noise? :D

Anyway I just backed up data. Now all my partions are blank, except for c: (OS) , d: (game installations :sol: ) and e: (downloads :kaola: )

It hasn't made noise in the past three days.

But usually its everyday. And sometimes boot hangs, browsing freezes. And all this when I hear that " tick tick tick " sound :??:

I though of ghosting c: and d: on another HDD. I'm totally confused and worried.

I recently built this 2000$ rig "httx://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331761-31-1500-1999-gaming", without new HDDs and this keeps happening :cry:

Appreciate your help

imdprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Bumping to keep it alive

How did you know the drives weren't making anymore noise?

Anyway I just backed up data. Now all my partions are blank, except for c: (OS) , d: (game installations ) and e: (downloads )

It hasn't made noise in the past three days.

But usually its everyday. And sometimes boot hangs, browsing freezes. And all this when I hear that " tick tick tick " sound

I though of ghosting c: and d: on another HDD. I'm totally confused and worried.

I recently built this 2000$ rig "httx://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331761-31-1500-1999-gaming", without new HDDs and this keeps happening

Appreciate your help

imdprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi

I am back again

The problem seemed to be happening intermittently. But now it seems quite often.

I have three HDDs (2 TB, 1 TB, 1 TB)

Is there anyway we can see which one is making the clicking noise without having to remove the HDD?

Appreciate any assistance

Thanx