[SOLVED] HDD behaving weirdly after Windows update ?

BoKiller

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

I recently got a new GPU and updated windows. I don't know if those two changes have anything to do with my problem, but i started encountering intermittent drive errors and freezes.

Examples:

1. When playing Elden RIng, the game starts stuttering and the music disappears. This is always followed by HDD usage shooting up to 100% and a stop-start noise (ill provide the audio later in the post) occurring. Also, i noticed that every time that this occurs, it is followed by an error appearing in the event viewer. Specifically the following error:

vd83G2p.png

2. When playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, the game freezes for about two seconds, and is followed by the noise, and 100% disk usage.

3. While scanning the drive for bad sectors, the noise occurs every 3 or so seconds (i will attach a recording of this), but is not followed by the error in event viewer.

4. Epic Games Launcher (installed on it for some reason) was flagged as corrupted, throwing an "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error.

5. Other files also seem to be corrupted, one unistaller is throwing a "unins000.dat is corrupted" error.

Notes:
  • I have tried almost every possible combination of SATA and power cables. None have helped.
  • The errors started after updating windows and installing a new GPU.
  • The drive model is: SEAGATE ST1000DM003
  • Other drives in PC: NVME ssd (System), WDC HDD (Media)
  • Tried CHKDSK with only 3 stages. I will run the full scan overnight.
CRYSTAL DISK INFO:
zqzAeac.png

THE NOISE:

THE QUESTION:

Is the drive dead? Did windows update screw up some files? What are my options?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try running Seatools for windows - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/
it should have tests for the drive

chkdsk E: /f /r could help, it would repair and or fix any drive sectors. Can take a while , i ran it last week on my mums PC and it took 90 minutes. It depends how much of drive has been used

It doesn't sound good on the video, but at least its not clicking.

Solution