[SOLVED] HDD cannot be found after switching to Intel 660p SSD

Oct 17, 2019
I recently purchased a 500gb Intel 660p SSD since my 1TB HDD was running out of space. I am very new to computer hardware, but didn't expect switching to be this hard (I mean people buy more storage all the time right).

I looked up a tutorial video on YouTube to help switch my Windows 10 OS to the new drive. However, as soon as I popped the SSD into the M.2 slot it took me to the BIOS and asked me to boot from the empty drive. Even the BIOS couldn't find my old HDD that I was just using 30 seconds ago.

I then just decided to fresh install Windows 10 onto the SSD using a flash drive that had the OS on it. That was simple enough. However, neither file explorer nor windows storage settings can locate my HDD which has all my files on it. Additionally, windows display setting are capped at 1280p right now when they should be 4K.

Specs in case it helps:
CPU - ryzen 7 1700x
GPU - rx 5700 xt
SSD - intel 660p
HDD - WD Blue
PSU - 650 watt EVGA
MOBO - I forget it came with the CPU

Solution
Direct from the specs:

------------------------------
*5 When a SATA / PCIE mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports.
*6 When a SATA mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports

Move your HDD SATA cable to another port on the motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
You absolutely need to know the motherboard.
Often, one or more SATA ports is disabled when using something in an M.2 port.

As far as the 'cloning' thing....
How much space was/is consumed on your old HDD and what size is the SSD (500GB?)

Oct 17, 2019
Found the mobo from old email: ASUS ROG STRIX B-350F GAMING AM4

The old HDD was using about 900GB out of 1000 and the SSD says it has 470gb free.

If the m.2 does disable certain ports how would I go about finding that out, and more importantly how would I work around this?

USAFRet

Titan
Direct from the specs:

*5 When a SATA / PCIE mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports.
*6 When a SATA mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports

Reactions: BigE1293
Solution
Oct 17, 2019
Direct from the specs:

Okay that did the trick and I can now see my old HDD in file explorer. However, this fresh version of Windows 10 on the new SSD is still locked at 1280p. Should I pose this question in an OS forum instead of here?

Some final questions:
Will I be able to move downloaded games/applications to the SSD from the HDD one by one manually?
And will I have to re-install all my games and applications so they appear on the desktop of this fresh OS?

Thank you :)

USAFRet

Titan
For the 120GB on the 500GB SSD...and since this is a brand new install, I'd simply redo it.
That 120GB is a result of the former failed cloning attempt.

Redo it, and DELETE all existing partitions while you go.

Disregard that whole thing. Read below.

For your old applications - No, you cannot move them.

For Steam games, yes, you can move them from the old HDD.
Being mindful of the space on the SSD:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game