Question HDD cause PC to freeze?

Apr 10, 2022
This happens every few days, not on every boot,
my Win10 PC completely "freeze" right before it suppose to show desktop, so only I can do is to reboot again, I cant resset using alt+ctrl+del.
At first I thought cause of the problem is windows theme that I changed. But it turns out that this is not happening when I disconnect one of storage HDDs (WD purple). First I thought it is Sata cable so I change it, but it is happening with new Sata cable. So what else could it be? Can Sata port on MB be bad to cause freezing?
On the same branch of Sata power connector I have another HDD and it is working OK.
HDD is 100% health in HDD sentinel.

If the HDD itself or sata cable is broken, you should have being able to see that reflected in s.m.a.r.t. data. No sign of that and therefore I believe the hdd is not the cause of the issue.

But to be sure, I'd recommend you try this steps first:
  • Try to insert a different HDD and see how it responds.
  • Try to insert the HDD into another computer, or hdd enclosure to see if it works there.
But also, you haven't revealed any info abot hardware nor OS, so I'm thinking if your rig runs Windows XP and is really old, then it simply may non being capable to handle your hdd. Maybe the motherboard or PSU is so old that it is already exceeded expected life time?

Apr 10, 2022
Thank you, I did wrote it is Win10 PC.
Asus Prime X470 and Amd Ryzen 7 CPU, HyperX 16GB,
Power supply is Corsair RM1000, it is from 2014. maybe it is to old? I dont have electric equipment to measure voltages etc. right now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY