Question HDD causes Laptop to NOT Post

Abeerhkhan

Honorable
Oct 12, 2016
First of all, I have to start by saying that I have a Samsung laptop (2012ish) that does not let me get into BIOS or Boot Menu when it posts.

The problem arises when i Try to use his 500GB HDD. When in use, it simply causes the laptop to restart. After about 5 seconds it shows the Samsung screen for a couple of seconds and then it reboots. I tried putting it into my PC and it works just fine. Formatted it, installed windows on it. I tried converting partitioning type to MBR and GPT. I also Low Level Formatted the entire HDD.

The laptop works just fine with another SSD (from my PC)

I checked in BIOS (by going into UEFI settings from windows, as i said, the laptop wont do anything when I press F2,F10 or any other keys to get into bios) and everything seems fine. Tried disabling secureboot, also changing the boot order to put the Bootable USB Stick with windows on it first but no change.

Also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I tried putting it into my PC, formatted it, installed windows in it and it works just fine.
That's never a good idea to install the OS on another system and then migrate the drive to the system you want to work off of. You're advised to install the OS on the system you plan to work off of.

Model and SKU for your Samsung laptop? Have you tried working with a different drive or perhaps an SSD? What OS are you trying to work with? Chances are the the 500GB HDD you're speaking of is trying to say goodbye.

Abeerhkhan

Honorable
Oct 12, 2016
I tried putting it into my PC, formatted it, installed windows in it and it works just fine.
That's never a good idea to install the OS on another system and then migrate the drive to the system you want to work off of. You're advised to install the OS on the system you plan to work off of.

Model and SKU for your Samsung laptop? Have you tried working with a different drive or perhaps an SSD? What OS are you trying to work with? Chances are the the 500GB HDD you're speaking of is trying to say goodbye.

Hello, thanks for your reply.
I have never had problems swapping HDD between alot of computers, although mostly for testing. I am aware that it may not function properly due to different drivers and configurations.
I cannot install the OS as I am not able to get into BIOS or Boot Menu from the laptop, unless I reboot it from Windows to get into UEFI settings.
Model is : Samsung NP353EC
I tried using the SSD from my PC with Windows 10 already installed and it works. This is the only way i can boot it up, and then reset it into UEFI settings.
OS is Windows 10