Question HDD Causing crashing and GPU coil whine

Feb 20, 2021
Hey,

So this is a weird one, I recently upgraded the Mobo, CPU and RAM in my system but about 2 weeks after I started getting constant crashes and sometimes starting a game up the PC would shut off, about a week after this my GPU developed coil whine.

Sometimes the PC would not boot and I would get a message saying "Dard Disk Drive failure is imminent please backup your hard disk and have it replaced" then it would boot into the BIOS.
Anyway after removing the HDD (which is purely only used for storage, no RAID configuration) the crashing stopped and so did the GPU coil whine, I have since backed up the data from the HDD.

My question is how does a storage drive cause the whole system to shut off and more so how does it cause coil whine on my GPU, and how does the coil Whine go away after removing the HDD, I'm just really confused about this whole thing, the HDD in question is a 2TB Toshiba and is about 6 years old.

System Spec:
Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS
CPU: Intel i9-10850k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 3600Mhz (2x8GB)
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme Edition 11GB
PSU: CS650M 80+ Gold 650w
OS SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

My question is how does a storage drive cause the whole system to shut off and more so how does it cause coil whine on my GPU, and how does the coil Whine go away after removing the HDD, I'm just really confused about this whole thing, the HDD in question is a 2TB Toshiba and is about 6 years old.
Overheating and PSU issue can cause system shutdown.
Check PSU and GPU temperatures.
BTW what cpu cooler are you using? i9 requires very good cooling.

Feb 20, 2021
Overheating and PSU issue can cause system shutdown.
Check PSU and GPU temperatures.
BTW what cpu cooler are you using? i9 requires very good cooling.

GPU temps run at around 60-70c under max load and 40c idle
CPU is using an AIO: MSI Coreliquid 240R the temps are usually around 60-70c but sometime can peak to about 85c under load and sits around 30-40c idle, I am thinking of replacing the AIO with a 360mm one.
I'm not sure about the PSU temps, but to take note the PSU is about the same age as the HDD so it is getting old.