[SOLVED] HDD Clicking noise. Need and opinion.

Dec 20, 2019
So here is my problem.
I recently bought a Seagate 8tb expansion drive. I work in video production and this will be used as a backup drive.
When i first plugged in...there were no clicking noise. I immediately started to copy 2tb to it and some clicking sounds appeared.
They weren't constant...every 20 seconds or so the sound appeared. It sound like fire crackling but made out of clicks. Sometimes the clicks are regular...like 1/s.
Sometimes it's like 4th of July. Insane amount of clicking. Now i can hear the clicking sound even in idle.
Thing is...this is my first 3.5 external HDD ...so I didn't know how they sound. But what scared me is that write/read speeds go down when the sound appears.
From 150mb/s to 30mb/s...the speed goes down exactly when the clicking starts and goes back up when it ends.....if there are only a few clicking sound it goes down a bit,
to 80mb/s...but sometimes the sound persists longer and you can see the speed going down with it.

I am pretty sure it's got a problem but i would like someone here with more experience to confirm it.
Crystaldiskinfo says it's health is good, but i ran HDtunepro and the results are strange.

Here are the test results, i ran it 2 times:
MoY1rD7.png

K44dRoa.png

Solution
That's probably a faulty drive, the clicking is typically the read/write arm touching the disk. When it does that the drive will try to protect itself by retracting the arm, which will stop all transfer for a moment while it resets position.

As our friendly neighborhood mod suggested, test the drive using seatools.

Starcruiser

Honorable
That's probably a faulty drive, the clicking is typically the read/write arm touching the disk. When it does that the drive will try to protect itself by retracting the arm, which will stop all transfer for a moment while it resets position.

Solution
Dec 20, 2019

Thanks...testing the drive using seatools now. What can you say about the HDtune pro test....from what i can see only it sound be a normal curve...those 3 huge spikes are. strange