Question HDD constantly at 100%

Volle013

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
I had an HDD which failed* for some reason so I had to purchase a new SSD ASAP. Everything is currently in my only SSD so I bought a new 1TB Barracuda HDD. I had problems with installing the new HDD so I had to RMA it twice. I now have a third HDD which initially had the same problems so I began to suspect that it wasn't the hard drive's issue so I bought to a friend. He just unallocated the drive and it was up and running.

But, it's always at 100% usage even when there is no file transfer. and when there are file transfers, its response time is in the thousands of ms and the transfer rate is between 0.8 and 5 MBps and sometimes even stays at 0 MBps.

*P.S. I'm not sure if it's related but that buddy of mine tried put the old HDD in an enclosure and found that it was completely fine. All of my files were there. But for some reason, my PC wouldn't boot off the HDD.

P.P.S. Before the fix, hooking up the HDD would get me stuck at the BIOS loading screen.

Last edited:

Volle013

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
have you looked in task manager to see whats using the most of the hdd?

Unfortunately, I can't tell if the usage was for the SSD or the HDD. BUT I've only been transferring files to the HDD; it's not a boot drive. Sure enough, it's at 0% when there are no transfers. But when there are, transfer rate is between 0.8 and 5 MBps , and even gets stuck at 0 some times.

Apr 8, 2021
Unfortunately, I can't tell if the usage was for the SSD or the HDD. BUT I've only been transferring files to the HDD; it's not a boot drive. Sure enough, it's at 0% when there are no transfers. But when there are, transfer rate is between 0.8 and 5 MBps , and even gets stuck at 0 some times.
do you know what the speed said on the packet or manual

Apr 8, 2021
Supposedly, it's 600 MBps but most it definitely not should be 1 MBps nor should it be stuck at 0 for large intervals.
go into settings then system then storage scroll down and under more storage settings it should say "optimise drives" try doing that on the faulty drive. and if that doesnt help maybe try 1: updating windows in settings (if available) or 2: reinstalling windows. hope this helps!.

Volle013

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
go into settings then system then storage scroll down and under more storage settings it should say "optimise drives" try doing that on the faulty drive. and if that doesnt help maybe try 1: updating windows in settings (if available) or 2: reinstalling windows. hope this helps!.
I did update windows and now it doesn't boot. It gets stuck here (again):
View: https://imgur.com/a/NQAdDTZ

What it seems t be doing is it's trying to read something off the HDD. I used to be able to get this to boot.