HDD converted to external, transfer rate falls to 0 on usb 3.0

jonnyboyy101

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I have a WD 1 TB HDD that i have laying around. im using a insignia 3.5" USB 3.0 SATA HDD Enclosure to convert it into an external hard drive. when i plug the it into the 3.0 ports and try to put data in it, the process becomes slow and the transfer rate goes from 40MB/s and then drop to 17 down to 0 and then stay there or go to 10MB/s, then drop to 0 again. after a while the connection to the HDD drops and i have to reboot the external to re connect.

When connecting it to the 2.0 it works alright. (still dont trust it). i tried formatting it and re-creating the volume but none of it seems to work.. Any idea whats going on?

Solution

I don't think the file system has anything to do with this, since the drive works perfectly fine on the USB 2.0 ports.
Even if the drivers in Device Manager for the USB 3.0 are up to date, I'd still recommend re-installing them. Check the motherboard manufacturer's website for any recent updates on the drivers for your model.

Let me know if the drive gets detected after the re-installing of the USB 3.0 drivers! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, jonnyboyy101!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD drive. :(
However, I think that you might be dealing with outdated drivers as it was already mentioned. I'd suggest you to go to Device Manager and un-install all the drivers under the USB controllers (or just the USB 3.0 ones), then reboot your computer and let Windows Updates take care of the re-installing of the drivers. If you don't have them set on automatic, then you can do that manually from your motherboard manufacturer's website. You can check this guidelines, if you face any difficulties: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725782.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope this was helpful! Keep us posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

jonnyboyy101

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

I looked at my usb drivers and they are all up to date. could it be the type of HDD that im using? the weird thing is when i use a 2.0 port it works fine, but when i use a 3.0 it acts funny...

Could it be the formate? should i use fat instead of ntfs and should i convert it to dynamic disk space?

I don't think the file system has anything to do with this, since the drive works perfectly fine on the USB 2.0 ports.
Even if the drivers in Device Manager for the USB 3.0 are up to date, I'd still recommend re-installing them. Check the motherboard manufacturer's website for any recent updates on the drivers for your model.

Let me know if the drive gets detected after the re-installing of the USB 3.0 drivers! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution