Hdd cooling in fractal design define s?

Aug 28, 2018
Hello everybody!

As my case has the hdds on the other side (behind the MoBo tray, near the mobo's back side) it doesn't get much cooling.
I suppose normal placed hdd brackets get air from sort of 360°, plus are in the way of fans.

However in my case they only get some air through the front lattice from the 140mm fan.
There are 3 hdd holders, vertically.

I'll post some hdd temps when I get home. (about 50 C° the middle drive (gets some airflow), and 55ish C° the upper one which gets almost zero airflow.)

3 140mm front intake fans are in the case.

The hdds are samsung hd154ui 1,5 tb and some noname barracuda, both very old.

Im asking this whole question for these reasons :
I plan on buying 1 or 2 WD 2TB black hdds [strike]what[/strike] which are higher performance drives, therefore more heat. And one Samsung Sata 3 500gb mz-76e500E. So I'm quite worried about hdd temps.
What about hdd coolers? Efficiency? Price-value factor? Noise? If, recommended, would you please suggest a few?

F1lz9Ah

Solution
If the HDD coolers are getting their air from the same ambient temps, or venting to the same ambient air, then the air temps aren't going to change really.

I'd be more inclined to cut a 120mm or 140mm hole in the side, in line with the top HDD and vent the air with a slow, quiet fan. it wouldn't take much, as it's just preventing heat build up in the compartment.

This is assuming you have clearance for a fan's thickness between the HDD and the case side. Like I say, it wouldn't need a hefty fan, so a slim 15mm fan would do.

Failing that, just some small venting holes might help.

Edit: Might be an idea to arrange the drives from most used at bottom to least used at top too until you have a cooling solution. The top drive will still...
If the HDD coolers are getting their air from the same ambient temps, or venting to the same ambient air, then the air temps aren't going to change really.

I'd be more inclined to cut a 120mm or 140mm hole in the side, in line with the top HDD and vent the air with a slow, quiet fan. it wouldn't take much, as it's just preventing heat build up in the compartment.

This is assuming you have clearance for a fan's thickness between the HDD and the case side. Like I say, it wouldn't need a hefty fan, so a slim 15mm fan would do.

Failing that, just some small venting holes might help.

Edit: Might be an idea to arrange the drives from most used at bottom to least used at top too until you have a cooling solution. The top drive will still be cooking in the other drives' heat, but if hardly used, it's less of a problem. If you do cut a hole, I would put the most used at top with the vent over it, taking the heat from it and the rest of the compartment quickly.

Solution