Rhukath

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,

I am having problems with an internal hard disk. I have 2 512mb hdd's working in a raid stripe and upon bootup the computer is telling me that there has been an error on one of the hard drives.

The computer is now randomly crashing with blue screen of death. I have tried scanning both harddrives and there are no errors or bad sectors reported, but when I use a more advanced disk checker the make and model of the hard disk are totally corrupted.

Is there any way of recovering from this situation?

Depending on the software you used, it may not be able to properly read the make/model or other status of the drive through the raid controller.

If you boot into the raid bios, does it show any problems there? RAID 0 is a terrible option to use since there is no redundancy. One failed drive will bring down the whole array as you have just found out. Hopefully you have good backups in place.

I've never used this, so use it at your own risk.

http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
if one physical drive in a raid 0 (stripe) array fails then the entire array fails and nothing can be salvaged/rebuilt.

raid 0 is great for speed but it has zero redundancy, DO NOT store important data on it! raid 0 actually increases the risk of data failure as compared to a single drive.