HDD Data Retrivial

Brainwave2012

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Is there any way to recover data from a WD external hard drive? When I connect it to my external enclosure it lights up but doesn't spin or make any noise. When I connect it to my laptop it's not being read. When I initially bought it I had Windows Vista, I know have Windows 8. I tried downloading drivers for it but that had no effect either. I've been to a number of Data Recovery sites and they want astronomical prices to recover the data. I know there's gotta be a simpler - less costly way to retrieve my data. I have, docs, phots, executables, tutorials and who knows what else on it. I really need to get this data.

Solution

If it doesn't spin up then it either has a bad logic board or failed motor spindle.
Of course it's possible the external enclosure you have is bad, so you can try to hook it up directly to an internal sata drive to double check.

If it's a bad logic board you could pay to get it replaced for under $200, but there's no guarantee that it will work after that.

If it's something other than just the logic board you'll be out the money and still will need a full service lab to have...

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I thought he already did this.

Did I misunderstand this part?

'When I connect it to my external enclosure it lights up but doesn't spin or make any noise. When I connect it to my laptop it's not being read. "

You took the drive out of the original WD enclosure and put it in a different enclosure and it doesn't spin, right?

When it is connected via sata to USB cable to your laptop it is inaccessible as well?

Also...what kind of WD external drive is this? A newer My Book or something else?

USAFRet

Titan

Unknown as to exactly what he's done. Those two sentences are conflicting.
Let's see what he says.

Brainwave2012

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Brainwave2012

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
You are correct- TyrOd. I took the harddrive out of it's original casing and put it into another external enclosure. It's a WD 500G My Book model. When I bought it I had a Windows Vista machine -- around 2007. When I attach the USB to my Laptop the light comes on - green, but you don't hear it spinning and it's not recognized by my laptop. I've used three different external enclosures and nothing. I attempted to download WD drivers for Windows 8 but again nothing. Any thoughts on what I can do.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

If it doesn't spin up then it either has a bad logic board or failed motor spindle.
Of course it's possible the external enclosure you have is bad, so you can try to hook it up directly to an internal sata drive to double check.

If it's a bad logic board you could pay to get it replaced for under $200, but there's no guarantee that it will work after that.

If it's something other than just the logic board you'll be out the money and still will need a full service lab to have any chance of recovering your data.

Getting a free diagnostic from a reputable lab is still your best bet overall. If they tell you it's the logic board, then you can try and get it replaced your self for cheaper.

Solution

Brainwave2012

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

"I've been to a number of techs and I've gotten different answers - as far as price. Each of them stated that it would need to go to an outside service to get the data retrieved, but no one has indicated whether it was a "Logical Board" problem or a "Spindle" issue. All I get is "they can't retrieve it themselves." Do you have any suggestions."

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Yeah it's not a general 'tech' that you need. You need a full service lab and depending on where you are there may not be one in your area.

I'm not here to advertise, but if you send me a PM I can point you in the right direction.