Status
Not open for further replies.

gokalex

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
hey i just build a new pc for my dad, and i accidentally connected the front usb panel to the firewire stupid pins, (they are exactly the same except for position and i didnt check the manual... ) anyways in one morning he managed to connect 3 devices to the front usb, external usb3 hdd 1tb, external usb 1.5tb, and simple memory stick.
well they all dont work now, anywhere... im kinda dead if they are broken because one of them had very important files, so i have to recover them now... any ideas?

tnx

gokalex

Solution
Not really except advice, ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL! The much higher voltage delivered by the fire wire has damaged the drives. If you are lucky it is only the PCB (inside the enclosure) on the drives that vent and if you had the exact replacement you can recover the data. Other options are paying somebody to do it.
Not really except advice, ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL! The much higher voltage delivered by the fire wire has damaged the drives. If you are lucky it is only the PCB (inside the enclosure) on the drives that vent and if you had the exact replacement you can recover the data. Other options are paying somebody to do it.

Solution

gokalex

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
ill soon try to open the case (but wd doesnt make this easy, i still havent figured out how to do that) and connect it via sata straight to my mobo and see if it still works... hopefully it will...

edit.
i still have my head on my neck =] the files are safe, only the sata to usb part of the external was fried... that was close lol tnx rolli u were right =]

Status
Not open for further replies.