[SOLVED] HDD Detected but unreadable on new system

Problemmagnet

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Hello. I recently purchased a new system to replace my 12-year old one. The new one is running on win 10 64bit The old one on win 7 64bit. I have win 10 installed on a new ssd. I was planning to use the old hdd’s for storage for now, but I’ve run into a problem.

The old hhd’s are detected on the new system in bios/device manager/disk manager/win explorer so no problems there. However, when I try to access any of their files then win explorer either gets stuck or I get an error saying that no valid device was selected. I thought maybe corruption as explorer/disc manager states that the space used is correct. I used a file recovery program to scan the drives which states that there’s nothing on them. The drives work perfectly fine on the old system.

They’re sata-600 drives with ntfs filesystem, running in sata-IDE mode on the old system.
The new system does not support IDE mode.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Just a driver or some compatibility issue?

Solution
You should disable IDE MODE COMBINED and never install any sata controller other than windows STANDARD SATA AHCI. Try and run SeaGate long test, do it 2 times just to be sure. If it still fails, try a new sata cable they fail or a sata port, a port that you might know" I've not plugged there many times" Then remember that bad poor case design can lead to things such as vibrations and causing things to slightly shift by their configuration such as how if a CPU cooler doesn't have 4 but it has two, then you put what you have on different side not on the same one, this applies to everything. HDD's are noisy, imagine 7200rpm, i'll never work to quiet down a HDD, I've also had my fair share with lumber jack screws. One of the things I've...

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and tether the old HDD using an USB driven dock and see if the issue persists. You weren't asked to format the HDD when you went into Disk Management? As for your new platform, what are you working with now and what were you working with prior? The current generation of platforms need a storage controller driver to be installed in order for the system to operate optimally.

If there's nothing important on the HDD, format it. If there are any mission critical data on the HDD, back them up while on the older platform. Make and model of the HDD in question?

Problemmagnet

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
You could try and tether the old HDD using an USB driven dock and see if the issue persists. You weren't asked to format the HDD when you went into Disk Management? As for your new platform, what are you working with now and what were you working with prior? The current generation of platforms need a storage controller driver to be installed in order for the system to operate optimally.

If there's nothing important on the HDD, format it. If there are any mission critical data on the HDD, back them up while on the older platform. Make and model of the HDD in question?

There’s a few TB of video and photo on them, so if I can’t get them to work I’ll copy everything over to a new drive (if the old system can work with that)
Windows 10 did not ask me to format at any point.

Old system is an Asus P7P55D mobo with an i7 and ddr4 memory. New one is a Asus tuf gaming z690-plus wifi d4 with an i7 and ddr4 memory. I can get the cpu and ram specifics if needed.

HDD: seagate barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 and a maxtor diamondmax 10 320GB 6V320F0

Problemmagnet

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I’ve updated some drivers and, whilst exruciatingly slow, I am able to copy files now on the new system. Explorer not responding for 10 seconds with every action I take. I think I’ll just order a new drive and copy everything over. This drive is louder than the 5 fans spinning in my case anyway…

Thanks for the reply though!

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
You should disable IDE MODE COMBINED and never install any sata controller other than windows STANDARD SATA AHCI. Try and run SeaGate long test, do it 2 times just to be sure. If it still fails, try a new sata cable they fail or a sata port, a port that you might know" I've not plugged there many times" Then remember that bad poor case design can lead to things such as vibrations and causing things to slightly shift by their configuration such as how if a CPU cooler doesn't have 4 but it has two, then you put what you have on different side not on the same one, this applies to everything. HDD's are noisy, imagine 7200rpm, i'll never work to quiet down a HDD, I've also had my fair share with lumber jack screws. One of the things I've noticed is that many forget that HDD needs all 4 screws.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS