[SOLVED] HDD disappeared, I fixed it but now my computer is extremely slow

Apsnusk

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
Hi everyone.
I have my system set up so that my OS is located on my internal SSD while most other things are located on my internal HDD.

As the title suggests, I was playing a game when it crashed and I could no longer access the game because the entire D: drive (the HDD) was missing. I tried rebooting and troubleshooting before going to check the physical connections.

After playing around with the different ports and making sure everything was connected, the HDD drive showed up again but my computer has now started to run very slowly. For example, The game (WoW) which I could previously run without any issues now runs at about 10fps and takes forever to load. There is less than 50% strain on my GPU and even less than that on the CPU and RAM while playing the game. Normal tasks like running a browser or using file explorer are slow and "sluggish" as well.

I ran an HDDScan to generate a S.M.A.R.T report and there are warnings on 3 sectors.
Screenshot: https://puu.sh/GJv6g/fe58844feb.png

What steps do I need to take for my computer not to run like syrup? Is the HDD the problem and a lost cause?

Will appreciate any help!

Solution
Unfortunately i think your HDD is dying and it is a lost cause. It's only a matter of time before it dies completely. Try downloading a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to get an "Estimated remaining lifetime".

gNnfiQs.png

Apsnusk

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
Unfortunately i think your HDD is dying and it is a lost cause. It's only a matter of time before it dies completely. Try downloading a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to get an "Estimated remaining lifetime".

gNnfiQs.png
I performed a Hard Disk Sentinel test and indeed, it is at 5% health with an estimated 5 more days of life in it. Thank you so much for your help! Now I have a good reason to upgrade to an SSD at least!