HDD disappears after resume from sleep, Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
A couple of months ago when my Windows 10 desktop resumes from sleep my 2TB WDC drive would no longer be there. I also have a 1TB WDC drive and a 256GB SSD, and they are both there as expected. If I reboot then the 2TB drive returns.

This just started happening a few months ago. A couple of weeks ago I replaced the Gigabyte motherboard which blew up with an ASRock mobo, and miraculously the Windows installation sorted itself out for the new mobo. But the HDD problem still persists.

Any ideas? Is this the sign of a faulty HDD? Or should I reinstall Windows which I really don't want to do...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you uninstall old motherboard drivers and install the ones for the Gigabyte? its likely one of the drivers needs to be replaced. Have a look on the Gigabyte site and see if new Sata drivers - might help to uninstall current ones first.

generally if you get a new motherboard it helps to reinstall windows so PC doesn't have drivers for old hardware it still believes to exist.

yemmyow

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I do have a temporary fix so you don't have to reboot your computer every time. When you wake from sleep and the drive is not appearing, go to Device Manager > Drives & Storage > Scan for Hardware Changes. The drive that disappears should show again.

I'm working on solving this problem as I have the same issue. I will keep and touch and re-post here if I do find a solution.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

This will help, but you still lose all the links to open files so it is still a big problem.

Are you experiencing the same problem with Western Digital &/or AS Rock? I am pretty close to just getting a new drive...

Compute8546

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
This is happening with a 2 year old "Green" Toshiba 3 Tb drive as well. Happened with older windows 10 then stopped with an update but the computer would no longer go to Sleep (so that was not really fixed). Latest update to Win10: sleeps again and the HDD disappears again

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I bought a new toshiba drive, and used the old problematic western digital drive as a backup drive. Now I have the problem with the new Toshiba drive, and the old WD drive is absolutely fine!

I have tried a new mobo, new cables. So this points the problem at Windows. I have used Windows 10 home, which I then upgraded to Win 10 Pro. I get the same problem.

I guess next is to reinstall windows from scratch. What a bore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

what build are you on?

If its anything before 1703, go here and click 1st button. it will dl the upgrade assistant, running it will upgrade win 10 to latest version. Version 1607 had a problem with hard drives, I am not certain if its been fixed or not.

Compute8546

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

I am running the same ver 1703 and have the same problem
Hardware/Software (all drivers and firmware up to date):

Win10 ver. 1703
i7 6 core
Intel SSD 256 Gb drive (works fine)
Toshiba 2 Tb drive (works fine)
Seagate 3 Tb drive (this is the drive that does not wake up)
Nvidia 1080

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I reinstalled a windows image from 1 Jan 2017 and the problem seems to have gone. I am running build 1607. Will try upgrading now to the latest winver...

Status
Not open for further replies.