[SOLVED] HDD doesnt show up with sata but only with USB

Apr 9, 2020
Hello guys i have a very perplexing issue, I cant seem to find a relatable problem on google anywhere so here i am folks. I plugged in a 2tb harddrive into my system via sata data/power, formatted, and loaded some files onto it normally and went on with my life. Next time i logged onto my computer and i noticed the drive wasnt there. After about 1 hour of troubleshooting and googling i had given up and removed the drive assuming it was dead. I decided to use some random sata data/power to usb adapter i had from a portable HDD i dissected many many years ago and to my absolute surprise it worked. It will only show in disk man. via this adapter and honestly it would be okay but i have this random internal hdd dangling from the case and its a very big eye sore within an otherwise very clean looking setup. Now before i go with plan c which is get an enclosure i hope maybe one of you might be able to help me. Also plan b is to just buy a new HDD but honestly if this drive is working why bother? Thanks for everyones time!

Solution
When new PCs are built, they are never turned let alone thoroughly tested. Your board may have bad sata/power connector. Could take a chance and put your working main drive on that connector.
Aug 10, 2020
When new PCs are built, they are never turned let alone thoroughly tested. Your board may have bad sata/power connector. Could take a chance and put your working main drive on that connector.

Solution
Aug 10, 2020
Older WD SATA were made with SATA adapter and required "ide emulation" be enabled. USB mass storage protocol is ATAPI based in communicating to your HD. SATA Native interface communicates with AHCI which may not be set correctly in BIOS. (ATAPI is basically a SCSI command set.)