[SOLVED] HDD drives keep unallocating

NickiSR

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
So I just upgraded my Motherboard and CPU MSI B350M GAMING PRO to Gigabyte GA-X570 AORUS ULTRA and AMD Ryzen 5 1500X to AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. But when I started up the PC only my SSD drive came up and running and that good after all its the one with Windows.

But my to HDDs didn't run. They were in the Device Management, unallocated so I decided to just allocate them and Formating them and deleting my files. And then I began to download all the things I needed and updating everything. But then while I was downloading some programs, all my Desktop files disappeared. (I have my desktop, Downloads, photos, etc... on my HDD to save space on my SDD always done that never had an issue) And the HDDs were unallocated again. And now this keeps on happening. I have restarted the pc changes the HDDs SATA port and cables. But it won't stop happening.
Is there any else that has experienced or knows how to fix it?

PC Build
Gigabyte GA-X570 AORUS ULTRA
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8G
G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB
Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
CORSAIR RM750x

Solution
Both images are of drive #2 (1TB), but they show that sector 0 has been replaced with some strange data. Weird !?

You can recover from this by r-clicking each of the missing partitions (Microsoft reserved and Ny diskenhed) and selecting "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then toggle the MBR On/Off button so that a 55AA signature appears at the end of sector 0. Apply changes and reboot so that the OS can mount your drive. This procedure should result in an MBR partition rather than GPT, but your data will be intact. However, the drive won't be bootable because the MBR code has been overwritten.

The 3TB drive is not shown in your screenshots, so I can't advise.

That said, I don't know what is doing this, but it's a worry.
ISTM that you need to stop and find out what is going on.

I would use a disc editor, eg DMDE, to examine the partitions. Assuming only sector 0 is affected, then it can be restored with a couple of clicks.

Also examine the SMART reports with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.

NickiSR

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
ISTM that you need to stop and find out what is going on.

I would use a disc editor, eg DMDE, to examine the partitions. Assuming only sector 0 is affected, then it can be restored with a couple of clicks.

Also examine the SMART reports with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.
Im in the process of doing a full formatting, if that won't work I will try this

NickiSR

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020

NickiSR

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Launch DMDE, select your drive, and wait 1 minute or less for the Partitions window to appear. Then show us the Partitions.
I will in a bit. I found someone that seemed to have had the same issue as me and the solution for him was to delete the SATA Controller drives and the reboot in safe mode and let windows download the drives again automatically. So I am in the middle of trying that and hopefully that might work.

Both images are of drive #2 (1TB), but they show that sector 0 has been replaced with some strange data. Weird !?

You can recover from this by r-clicking each of the missing partitions (Microsoft reserved and Ny diskenhed) and selecting "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then toggle the MBR On/Off button so that a 55AA signature appears at the end of sector 0. Apply changes and reboot so that the OS can mount your drive. This procedure should result in an MBR partition rather than GPT, but your data will be intact. However, the drive won't be bootable because the MBR code has been overwritten.

The 3TB drive is not shown in your screenshots, so I can't advise.

That said, I don't know what is doing this, but it's a worry.

Solution