Question HDD Dying ? Strange noise, seems to be from HDD

Apr 22, 2019
Hello everybody! Been reading from sometime already, here i learned from my new RTX2070 with artifacting after weeks searching what was happening.

Since my new build (2 months ago) when i changed everything except PSU and 2 HDD and 1 SSD i been having a few problems so i don't know if this is an HDD problem.. but it seems to be.

It's been already 2 times where my pc just turn off and it tries to start but goes to boot screen and seems to recognize every disk (1 M.2, 1 SSD, 2 HDD).
But keeps in a Boot loop, when i take that HDD off it seems to work and i can keep using my pc (for days or even a week since last time).

I tried Seagatetools, Adata Toolbox and a few more programs without problem.
I recorded this sound which keeps happening every few minutes or seconds.

My PC:
GIGABYTE z390 GAMING X
I9-9900K
Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4-3000 8GB x4
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070
M.2 Adata XPG GAMMIX S5 1TB
SSD WDC WDS250GB
HDD ST1000D
HDD Hitachi HDP725050

Apr 22, 2019
Make and model of PSU?
Does the PC just suddenly reboot without warning?
And to confirm, you say the issue DOES NOT occur when you remove the HDD that is emiting these sounds?

The PSU is a Seasonic M12II 750W
It just reboots without warning (the first time it did, the computer just froze) the second time i heard the noise and when i went to look it was in boot setup

What i tried was disconnecting every disk.. and kept adding... The Second time i just turned off the pc, disconnected that HDD and i can't remebemer if this appeared (clicking the M2 where windows is didn't work) and after restarting worked .... or if this image appeared, then disconnected the HDD and then the PC worked.

At the moment i am using the HDD without problem (except the noise and, maybe, the computer seems to be slower than before when editing or rendering)

Apr 22, 2019
Have you run HD Sentinel to check the SMART status on the drive?
If there are no issues with the HDD removed, it is highly likely to be that HDD that is the problem.
I didn't try sentínel. I'm gonna do that. Adata toolbox has S.M.A.R.T but i didn't understand much. My M.2 has different reading than the others and this HDD has higher reading error este than 100. Gonna do that and put the resulta here.
Thank hoy PC Tailor!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Cables can undoubtedly be a problem so it may be good practice to swap SATA cables and ensure they are all plugged in correctly also.
The Hitachi looks like it might need to be replaced sooner rather than later, It may be worth removing this also to see if the issue persists.

Apr 22, 2019
Last night i thought the noise maybe the GPU fans (some click by starting and stopping because GPU-Z had ups and down but the fans never stopped like examples i seen on internet) but just removing the Seagate the noise dissapears and like i said the computer seems faster (probably not but it seems haha).
Going to try changing sata cable first and then Formating the HDD
Since i do a lot of video editing and some gaming probably gonna look for some caviar black o a higher duty disks to change if needed (the 2 HDD'S)

Thanks!!!

popatim

Titan
I've got a 4tb drive that will suddenly stop reading and freezes the system because it's stuck waiting for the drive to respond...
SMART checks clean but you can't run a diagnostic on it due to the freezing. ...

I suspect you're drive is having the same issue but definitely try another sata cable & port first.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Apr 22, 2019
Just tried different cables and ports, but still the same noise.
I saw a 4TB WD Caviar Black on a store in discount so probably gonna buy that copy everything and then try a Format.. if it works gonna use it instead of the Hitachi or buy a carry and use it as a external as long as it works.

Thanks!!

tony_parker

BANNED
Jan 15, 2019
Normally, the computer storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damage or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are number of different hard drive clicking sounds with different reasons. Some type of clicking noise are due to software or driver issues, some of them due to hardware issues, and sometimes due to mechanical faults of the hard drive.

Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for clicking noise of a hard drive:

1. The insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive. It mostly happens when you have connected multiple devices (including the HDD) to a single port.
  2. Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues or damage such as a physical shock or trauma.
  3. A hard drive may be failed due to the faulty data cables, or incorrect drivers installed.
  4. A crashed hard drive.

Subsequent fixes people have used to overcome the issue are:

1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not. You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.
  2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. Now, if it does not make any noise, then the data cable might be faulty.
  3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Apr 22, 2019
UPDATE:
Well i wasn't able to change my HDD yet, but today computer crashed again and for the first time had a Blue Screen
STOP CODE: MEMORY_MANAGMENT

And the thing is this time i disconnected the other HDD (the HITACHI with 62% health who also seems to have some problems, but keeping the one that makes noise and seems to be the problem connected) and the PC started fine..
Maybe the 2 HDD's are a problem? or the PSU?

Apr 22, 2019
Well...
Bought a new HDD... installed it and when i took out the other one and started the pc again....
BSOD Unexpected_store_exception....
After unplugin pc everything starts fine but i always have a blinking cursor on black screen (goes top left a few blinks then like a middle upper left) three times and then starts ....
Also i don't see my M.2 in the BIOS but.. seems to work fine...

i don't know what more to do...