[SOLVED] HDD Error or clicking sound issue when installing a GPU

Dec 13, 2021
When i install my gt730 on my pc, my hdd starts making a clicking sound noise and then the display shows that your pc needs repair or it needs reformatting but when im done formatting and installing a new windows, i still have the same issue. But when i unplug my gpu, my pc works fine but it needs to reformat again. Is there a way to solve my problem??

PSU: Generic 750W(2019)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
MB: Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730-2GD3-Dexacom

Last edited:
Solution
What people around here refer to as "generic PSUs" (PSU-shaped objects that should only be used as paperweights) are typically of low to horrible quality, sometimes to the point of being a safety (shock and fire) hazard on top of having a tendency to fry components.

If you are using a no-name PSU, you likely want to replace it with something of known-decent quality.

InvalidError

Titan
Installing and removing a GPU shouldn't cause your PC to fail recognizing the HDD or the stuff that is on it.

The hard drive 'clicking' when the GPU is installed may be an indication that the PSU is so borderline that the HDD is failing to stay in normal running state.

Dec 13, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?
Here is my PC specs:

PSU: Generic 750W(2019)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB(50% free space)
MB: Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730-2GD3-Dexacom

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021
Installing and removing a GPU shouldn't cause your PC to fail recognizing the HDD or the stuff that is on it.

The hard drive 'clicking' when the GPU is installed may be an indication that the PSU is so borderline that the HDD is failing to stay in normal running state.

My PSU is a generic PSU with 750 Watts. After I bought the GPU and install it for the first time, the pc and HDD works fine but after 1 month later, the issue occurred.

InvalidError

Titan
What people around here refer to as "generic PSUs" (PSU-shaped objects that should only be used as paperweights) are typically of low to horrible quality, sometimes to the point of being a safety (shock and fire) hazard on top of having a tendency to fry components.

If you are using a no-name PSU, you likely want to replace it with something of known-decent quality.

Reactions: Joetlog
Solution