My old HD failed and ran maxtor diagnostics on it which said it was
kaput.New drive will not format it just hangs at 0 percent.Put in a drive
from another pc to see if it would boot bit it shuts down during boot
sequence with an blue screen error message saying "it it protecting the
files".It shuts down so quick I cant get the full details of the message.Is
the MB likely to be damaged as well.Dont know what caused the original
problem.Any help greatly apppreciated?

"spud 2" <foods@eircom.net> wrote in message
> My old HD failed and ran maxtor diagnostics on it which said it was
> kaput.New drive will not format it just hangs at 0 percent.Put in a drive
> from another pc to see if it would boot bit it shuts down during boot
> sequence with an blue screen error message saying "it it protecting the
> files".It shuts down so quick I cant get the full details of the
message.Is
> the MB likely to be damaged as well.Dont know what caused the original
> problem.Any help greatly apppreciated?

Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com,
then run ntfsdisk.exe from www.sysinternals.com to check your
second disk.