[SOLVED] HDD/External HDD "Refresh"

Jan 13, 2022
I read an article that said HDD/External HDD must be refreshed periodically to make sure data still intact after a long time.. But other said no need to do that, even after unplugged several years.. Which one is true?

Solution
I read an article that said HDD/External HDD must be refreshed periodically to make sure data still intact after a long time.. But other said no need to do that, even after unplugged several years.. Which one is true?
That's called "Bit rot". particles on platters can become demagnetized after some time. Much depends on disk quality so it can't be same for all disks.
Indication is slow read and loosing some parts of data.
If you want to refresh it, just copy contents somewhere else, do a long format and restore files.
That's called "Bit rot". particles on platters can become demagnetized after some time. Much depends on disk quality so it can't be same for all disks.
Indication is slow read and loosing some parts of data.
If you want to refresh it, just copy contents somewhere else, do a long format and restore files.

Solution
Jan 13, 2022
With refresh we can fix that 'bit rot' or just moved to other sector?

How about direct long format and restore files? Without copy files to other data. Because I have exact file in other drive.

And if I use the drive at least once a month for backuping 200mb files. Is a refresh still needed?

With refresh we can fix that 'bit rot' or just moved to other sector?

How about direct long format and restore files? Without copy files to other data. Because I have exact file in other drive.

And if I use the drive at least once a month for backuping 200mb files. Is a refresh still needed?
Only writing to same bits have any influence on Bit rot but copying same files again doesn't guarantee they will be placed in same places. While there is any free space files will be written to it first before overwriting old ones.

If you have reliable backup it's same as if you backed them now. Just long format and copy them.

Jan 13, 2022
Only writing to same bits have any influence on Bit rot but copying same files again doesn't guarantee they will be placed in same places. While there is any free space files will be written to it first before overwriting old ones.

If you have reliable backup it's same as if you backed them now. Just long format and copy them.
Ok then, and how about daily-monthly used drive? Am I still need to refresh it? If yes, once a year enough?

Ok then, and how about daily-monthly used drive? Am I still need to refresh it? If yes, once a year enough?
Look again at my answers above. That applies to any kind of usage, daily, monthly or yearly. How often to "refresh" , can't tel you exactly. That varies too much and can happen at any time. You could also run checkdisk (CHKDSK) periodically which could catch weak sectors.

Jan 13, 2022
Look again at my answers above. That applies to any kind of usage, daily, monthly or yearly. How often to "refresh" , can't tel you exactly. That varies too much and can happen at any time. You could also run checkdisk (CHKDSK) periodically which could catch weak sectors.
Forgot to ask, am I neeed to format the partition (remove and remake partition) too? Or just the content

"Bit rot" doesn't really affect hard drives. However, there are freeware tools to refresh each sector if you feel so inclined.

http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html
Got it, will check this