[SOLVED] HDD Failing

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I've got a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (maybe 4 yrs old, SATA connection) that I've installed on a homebuilt desktop as my storage drive. Also have some programs installed on it. Have a seperate SSD with windows installed. A few days ago I had my PDF editor start acting a little weird, then yesterday I found the HDD making a skipping sounding noise and some intermittent beeping. Eventually Windows 10 stopped responding. I was able to reboot and was trying Seagate SeaTools for Windows (which first wouldn't install properly, then installed but would stop responding) to try to analyze the HDD. I disconnected the HDD and reboot and everything seems to run fine. When I reconnect the HDD, Windows eventually crashes. So I don't seem to be able to get to a point where I can even use SeaTools on it.
From here I've got two questions: 1) what are the odds I'd be able to get any files off the HDD if Windows keeps crashing when it's connected (and best option for this), and 2) I've already ordered a new SSD replacement as a storage drive (Adata XPG SX8200 Pro). Might I want to go about the storage and additional programs differently (external drive, a SATA SSD, etc)?

TIA

Solution
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
Seems like yours is. "skipping sounding noise and some intermittent beeping "

Odds of getting stuff off it? Somewhere between 0% and 100%.
First off, I'd try using a USB-SATA dock. Only power up the problematic drive after Windows is already running on the system. See if that works.

If that doesn't work, then you go into more extensive methods, depending on how 'valuable' that data is.
A forensic or sector by sector clone to another physical drive will copy everything (and skip the failing portions), possibly allowing you to read the rest of it. Maybe.

But from this point forward...every time you run or access that drive brings it closer to full non-responsiveness.

For the new SSD...what...

USAFRet

Titan
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
Seems like yours is. "skipping sounding noise and some intermittent beeping "

Odds of getting stuff off it? Somewhere between 0% and 100%.
First off, I'd try using a USB-SATA dock. Only power up the problematic drive after Windows is already running on the system. See if that works.

If that doesn't work, then you go into more extensive methods, depending on how 'valuable' that data is.
A forensic or sector by sector clone to another physical drive will copy everything (and skip the failing portions), possibly allowing you to read the rest of it. Maybe.

But from this point forward...every time you run or access that drive brings it closer to full non-responsiveness.

For the new SSD...what did you have on this dying drive? Just do that same thing.

Solution

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
surfer - the best I can describe it was as a two-tone electronic skipping sound. I've replaced the drive entirely, so I've got storage space again, but now need to try to get some of the data off of the old drive. I've attempted to connect via a USB/SATA dongle but it's not detecting anything.

USAFRet - here's another follow up question. So I replaced with the m.2 drive and have it allocated and named. The other SSD in the tower I have is a 500mb drive that I have Windows 10 installed on. So I've had my OS active this entire time, just couldn't get to all my files and programs. I'm wondering whether it's worth installing Windows on the new m.2 drive and having to go through re-installing everything.
Existing SSD: SATA Samsung Evo Pro 860 512mb (Windows 10 installed here)
New m.2 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB

I'm inclinded to just leave it on the Samsung. Usually wakes up from sleep within a few seconds.

Hi, sorry to see that you are having issues with the drive. Can you describe the noise? Can you connect the drive to another computer?

USAFRet

Titan
There is a 500GB 860 Pro with the OS already installed on it, and you just added the NVMe drive?

"just couldn't get to all my files and programs " - That was the stuff on the dead/dying HDD?

Yeah, I'd be inclined to leave the OS on the current 860 Pro, and use the new NVMe as other storage.

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
There is a 500GB 860 Pro with the OS already installed on it, and you just added the NVMe drive?

"just couldn't get to all my files and programs " - That was the stuff on the dead/dying HDD?

Yeah, I'd be inclined to leave the OS on the current 860 Pro, and use the new NVMe as other storage.

Yes, OS was fine (for a change!). Just had some frequently accessed files and programs installed on the dying drive.

TRENDING THREADS