Question HDD Fails to Start when CPU is Powered

Jul 30, 2019
Hi All, Apologies if this has been answered but I have searched throughout the site and can't find anyone with a similar situation.

I have recently upgraded my desktop tower with a new Motherboard [Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard], CPU [ntel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor] and RAM [Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C13 2666MHz Quad Channel Kit]. Since this upgrade I am able to boot fine with my 2 SSD's working as expected, however I can't get my Toshiba 1TB internal HDD to work. During startup I can't hear it spin up and both BIOS and Windows can't detect it.

Interesting side note here is that when building, I initially forgot to plug the power into the CPU on the motherboard, when I attempted to start it I heard the HDD spin up but of course the machine would not start. Since plugging the CPU in, it hangs for a really long time on the motherboard splash screen and the motherboard itself shows a red light against the boot LED, but then loads windows, if I take the HDD out completely, it boots instantly.

This behaviour makes me think it's trying to use the HDD but can't. It was working without issue before the build and I have tried switching SATA cables, ports and power supply cables also and nothing works.

Can anyone advise how I can get this up and running? Apologies if I missed anything out and if more info is needed please let me know

Many Thanks

Did you install M.2 Sata SSDs? Some Sata ports will be deactivated, depending where the M.2 SSD is installed.
SATA3 1 will be not usable if a SATA SSD M.2 is installed in the M2A port.
SATA3 4 and 5 won´t be usable if a SATA or PCIe M.2 SSD is installed in the M2M port

check the HDD in another system, might be faulty. Have a look at the sata and power port of the HDD, could be broken while installing it

reset the BIOS by jumper CLR_CMOS

Which BIOS version is currently on the motherboard?