Question HDD failure 2TB how long do i have?

Jul 16, 2019
Hey so i have had this computer for a long while and its been starting to make noise and freeze my computer up, ive narrowed it down to my HDD and after browsing the forums for a bit think its my HDD ive used a healthcheck program for them the images can be found here and here

this was me testing it then it failing subsequently
View: https://imgur.com/a/UZ4H5r2

this is the health
View: https://imgur.com/a/4qGDi8b

i just want to know if this is fixable or if this is immenent failure and how long i can expect to use it. Ive recently moved all files off of it. Im curious as to why this hard drive freezes my computer even though no important files are on it.. if it can be fixed. Etc

DSzymborski

Titan
If there's a physical problem, 99 times out of 100, it can't be fixed. The PC still has to "check up" on it, which is why you see freezing. It may completely die in one minute or one year. You can always try doing a full format -- the full version not the quick format -- but if that doesn't fix the problem (and it usually doesn't), you simply have scrap metal.

The drive has 20904 bad sectors which have been replaced with spares, and another 2192 are waiting to be replaced. By anyone's reckoning, except perhaps Seagate's, this drive has already failed.

I would use HDDSuperClone or ddrescue to clone the drive and hope that it doesn't die during the attempt. BTW, if you care for your data, don't run SeaTools, as it will probably thrash your drive to death. In any case, SeaTools will probably find nothing wrong with the SMART data.

Jul 16, 2019
What is HDDSuperClone and ddrescue? i have already taken almost all the data off (anything important) i kind of want to make it as usable as possible before i can get a new one.

I am currently doing a full reformaty edit

Another edit and update, were at 30% on that format this may take several hours like it said LOL (computer hasnt froze since starting the reformat feels good got a break

Last edited:
HDDSuperClone and ddrescue are cloning tools which understand how to deal with bad heads/media.

I would not trust that drive ever again. My advice is to sell the PCB on eBay and dump the rest.

Before dumping the drive, try running the extended test in SeaTools. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes, in which case you will have demonstrated the value of Seagate's tool.