[SOLVED] HDD failure (OS Server 2003)

Oct 21, 2019
Hi., some years ago I had built a home server, OS Server 2003, having a main HDD for the operating system and using a RAID card (RAID host controller card)
and 4x 2TB WesternDigital. The main HDD has some sort of failure - shutting down by itself, blue screens; it started for a while and managed to back-up most of the data. However, it later fails to start.
If I replace the HDD with another HDD or altogether move the system (RAID configuration) into a new upgraded server, will the data be lost or retained in either case? What would be your experience?

Solution
It shouldn't be. As long as you setup the drivers for the RAID controller you should be fine. If the raid was setup with any windows setup, for example partition or storage manager, then it would probably be unrecoverable as the pool was not initialized in your new current build. But if you set up the raid in the raid controller bios then you should still be able to see the drive and all its data within the new OS.
It shouldn't be. As long as you setup the drivers for the RAID controller you should be fine. If the raid was setup with any windows setup, for example partition or storage manager, then it would probably be unrecoverable as the pool was not initialized in your new current build. But if you set up the raid in the raid controller bios then you should still be able to see the drive and all its data within the new OS.

Solution
Oct 21, 2019
Hi, Thank you for your message. I can't remember the setup configuration. That's why I don't want to do something to regret it by adding a new HDD to the actual system to replace the failed one. But I have little option but to try and see what happens. It if works I will check then the settings to move the RAID to a new system.

Thanks again.

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, where can I get a 100% working bootable Server 2003 file for download?
I am trying to restore the HDD - probably the boot sector is damaged as the system keeps looping to fail after passing the bios screen.