Question HDD Failure, possible to recover data?

Aug 22, 2021
Hello All,

Upon starting a computer I got a reboot and select proper boot device. My HDD was not showing up in BIOS so I removed it and put it in a thermaltake blacx adapter and plugged it in to a laptop. I get the device connected ding, but the drive wouldn't show up in Windows Explorer.

I poked around the web and ended up downloading AOMEI partition assistant, and for the disk it shows unknown disk unreadable, and also basic MBR 0.00kb. The drive is a 1.5TB drive, but it's showing 0.

Is this drive fried or do I need to rebuild MBR to get anything to show back up?

TIA

Side note, I know close to nothing about computer internals

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
Yes, I'm afraid it's dead.

There are data recovery services available, but those are too expensive to justify for most.

The only good solution for most is preventive: A good backup habit that turns the once-per-few-year storage media failure into a once-per-lifetime double or triple failure of a common cause i.e. theft, accidental overwrite, or existential crisis of any flavour.

Aug 22, 2021
saloyo, I'm not sure if any of your fixes other than #3 are viable. The disk doesn't show up in windows explorer, so I can't rename it, and I don't think I can run chkdsk on it, as the computer is not recognizing it.

Aug 22, 2021
under disk management, I also see 'you must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it'. Should I do anything with this? Will this maybe make it so that the disk can be recodnized?

FWIW, when I plug the disk into an external adapter, the disk spins.

Aug 22, 2021
Anyone have any other insight here? Even if you think the drive is for sure dead, feel free to just say so so I can move forward if this is the case. Wondering if the fact that the drive spins when I load it means maybe something can be done.

Thanks

When a drive powers up, it loads its firmware, first from the "ROM" chip on the PCB, and then from a reserved firmware area (System Area, SA) on the platters. Often when there is a head problem, the SA becomes inaccessible, so the drive either doesn't come ready, or it reports a bogus capacity or model number.

If CrystalDiskInfo cannot retrieve a SMART report (which exists in the SA), then this would tend to confirm a head/media/firmware fault.,

Aug 22, 2021
fzabkar, can you expand a little bit on CrystalDiskInfo? I know nothing about this or what I need to do to try and generate a report. Pretty much everything you wrote is a foreign language to me.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS