f1nutter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Hi folks,

I have a rather strange question. Let me set the seen.

I had an IBM 60GXP 40GB drive as my main drive working for two years, no problem. Recently I bought two 180GXP 60GB to raid together as a dedicated video capture drive. The three drives were mounted next to each other which made them extremely hot and dissapated through the case, warming everything else up. Fearing for the future of my other hardware, I bought 3 Cooler Master Cooldrive HDD coolers, one for each disk.

This worked for a while, until my main drive failed. I've had it two years, and although hacked off, these things happen. Now with a new drive installed, I got everything working last night, until this morning, when one of the drives in the raid array failed.

This seems illogical to me, but could the HDD coolers be having an effect in the reliability on my drives?

Thanks for any insight.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
That sounds rather unlucky but then IBM drives seem to be somewhat renowned for their unluckiness. Sounds like they should both still be under waranty.

The Cooldrive HD coolers shouldn't be detrimental to your hard disk although I personally trashed mine - too noisy and inefficient - about the only thing they did was look Cool. I now use 3-way how swap docks, cost about the same as 3 of those Cooldrive coolers, saves 1 5.25" slot and cools much more efficiently.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: