HDD files taking up space but can't see them.

grovecha

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I took my 2 TB external hard drive for my newest computer build. I put some files from my old computer that I wanted on my new one. When I check disk management I can see that the files are taking up space on the drive but I can't see them in the explorer.

Solution
Hi, i have had the same problem. One way i found that helped me locating them is by allowing view of 'Hidden Files'. You can do this by going into your computer and finding Tools> Folder Options> View tab and check the feature that says 'View hidden files' . This should allow you to then go into your program files and view any files that you can see are taking up lots of space and delete them (only if you need to). Just be careful not to delete any important files that may be hidden just so they can be deleted.

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Hi, i have had the same problem. One way i found that helped me locating them is by allowing view of 'Hidden Files'. You can do this by going into your computer and finding Tools> Folder Options> View tab and check the feature that says 'View hidden files' . This should allow you to then go into your program files and view any files that you can see are taking up lots of space and delete them (only if you need to). Just be careful not to delete any important files that may be hidden just so they can be deleted.

Solution