HDd freeze and LED stays on without blinking

zamyt

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Hey guys first off i apologize for bad grammar or spelling mistakes i'm writing from my phone.

So the issue is my HDD(or atleast i think that's the problem) seemed to at first RANDOMLY freeze for 2-3 min with task manager showing 100% disk usage even when the highest disk usage process was 0.1mb/s and the LED whould just stay on with blinking after few minutes everything goes back to normal. When this happens if i need to acsess anything HDD related the pc goes basically unresponsive untill it fixes itself but if i d9nt try acsessing HDD info i can still use all open aps or keep my streams running.Now i notice it is not at random because this keeps happening every time i go to a specific place in a game or when i try to run another one those arethe 2 things i managed to find as a constant since yesterday.

I have tried using Windows Defragmenter(Properties.Tools.Optimize and Error check) No errors were found and Optimize said all is good. Then i used Deffragler and Auslogics Disc Defrag Both had showed my C was 30% fragmented and E was 70 so i ran both for fix didnt help. Now i'm running HDD Regenerator will edit post in 2-3 hrs to say if it help but i doubt it. I have also ran Seagate's SeaTools which supports my HDD and the weird thing is the drive passes SMART test but fails DST(drive self test according to Seatools)

Pls help me how to fix it if its even possible or the HDD is basically dying and will give out soon and i need to replace it. I would preffer fixing it because at the moment a new hdd or sdd is not in my budget...

Solution
"the HDD is basically dying and will give out soon and i need to replace it."

I think you got it right when you said this. ^^^^

The symptoms you posted....are the signs of a dying drive.

zamyt

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
yeah i thought about getting a 500gb ssd to replace my 1tb apperantly failing HDD but i cant decide between the Crucial MX500 or Samsung Evo 860 500gb in my country the mx500 is 200bgn and the evo is 250bgn any advice on that ?

zamyt

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
ok i have 1 more question before the topic dies :D

The question is: is it worth it getting an SSD if i have only 3Gb/s Sata ports ?

The thing is my laptop is 5 years old and i can't seem to be able to find anywhere if it has Sata 3Gb or 6Gb but when i googled the failing HDD it said it's Sata 3Gb so im assuming so is my port. We are talking about casual surfing the web and some older games that i can still run mainly all games that came out before 2015-2016