HDD from laptop not being seen on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehunt23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hello guys,

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite p100-160) died a few months back and i have only just got around to trying to salvage my pics/music off of the HDD.

I have borrowed a R-Driver III - USB 2.0 to SATA IDE cable from a friend to try and connect it to my PC to use it essentially as an external HD.

I hooked it all up, using the power supply provided, SATA cables and USB plugged it all in to my desktop and hey presto.... i can't find the drive.

It's in the device manager as USB storage, but i can't access the drive to move files across. Any one know how i can somehow make my PC realise its a readable hard drive? I just want to access the files to move them across, and be done with it.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Open your desktop cabinet. Connect the drive directly to SATA power connector. Since SATA connectors are universal this won't be a problem. Also connect the drive using a SATA data cable to SATA ports in motherboard. See if you can access the data.

Also, don't forget to power off your desktop before doing this and ensure you're electrically grounded, or at least electrically discharged before touching the motherboard.

I always have a HDD dock in the house; it's cheaper than an enclosure and always comes in handy. Pretty much allows me to just plug in any 2.5 or 3.5" HDD (it has it's own power supply) and in connects via USB to the PC. Easy and paid for itself after the first use. Whenever I do some HDD work, I use it.
Good to know, good to have. Something like one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4025&IsNodeId=1&Description=hdd%20docking%20station&name=%2425%20-%20%2450&Order=BESTMATCH

thehunt23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I could kiss you all. It works, i can move my files. Now to make sure iTunes works.

Would it be safe to format and leave it attached to be used as a second PC hard drive?

thehunt23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Why i didn't think of attaching it straight up to the PC is beyond me. Cheers everyone :love:

You can close this thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS