HDD frying for nothing

Azevedo

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
Hey everyone.
I have this Seagate HDD Model ST31000524AS and it's temperature reaches 47°C (and up!) in a matter of a few minutes of power on even though it is on an idle state, positively no I/O.

temp.png

It is stored in a dust-free and cooled environment. Other HDDs in the same environment will
not surpass 40°C temperature. This HDD comes from a RMA replacement from Seagate. Is this normal?

Mattios

Honorable
As the SMART is all green, 47C is nothing to worry about. Mid fifties I would begin to worry.

If you feel unsure about it then speak to Seagate and see if they will replace it.

Azevedo

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
(lhama jumping = funniest avatar ever LOL)
I read somewhere that HDDs operating above 45°C have their livespan shortened. Not sure though.
I contacted Seagate support reporting the issue 12h ago. Waiting for the feedback.

Azevedo

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
Seagate support answered saying this is normal.
Normal for me is the other HDDs in the same environment keeping their temperatures bellow 42°C, NOT 45°C and rising...
So I made the right choice when I swicthed from Seagate to Western Digital, which produces HDDs SO much quiet and cooler.

Mattios

Honorable
In that case then something is wrong with your case... most hard drives shouldn't get that high. The fact you've had multiple get that high points at the case over the drives. My HDD is at 21 degrees now.

Azevedo

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
My guess is Seagate shipped me an deffective "overhauled" HDD for a RMA replacement within the warranty terms.
Either way, I'll avoid buying Seagate HDDs in the future.
It is unbeliveable the companies that prefer to lose a customer to another brand rather having a satisfied one.