HDD going nuts, 100% constantly

jscuz80

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Hey guys, so my 2 year old seagate 3 TB HDD has gone out of control, its been running at 100% non stop (performance & resource monitor) I cannot do any thing on it. tried virus scan, 30 mins and still at 1%, its slowing down my pc and causing crashes in games. Thing is its been working fine till last night, was watching movies on it all week. this morning I DL a TV episode, when it finished the pc started acting up then the drive went off its nut and wont come back, I went in and deleted the DL and pc works better but HDD still not usable, but still causes issues when connected. Doesn't get used all that much and I'm running a 10 year old seagate inside my pc with a 5 year old WD as well. is this a virus?
thanks in advance.

Does CrystalDiskInfo show any sectors with errors, degraded health, etc...?

Might be time to finally spring for an SSD? :)

(The 3 TB drives from a few manufacturers had failure rates well above double those experienced over 2 or even 4 TB drives)

jscuz80

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016

its an external usb drive, its not showing in Task manager only resource manager but i cant check it in RM just that its at 100% and now its not reading the drive at all, shows it there in the drive list but cant access the data.

Hope it's data is backed up, as it now sounds 'done for'...

you can try refridgerating it as a last ditch effort to perhaps recover a few files from it...*if* needed.

If data is not critical/is redownloadable/backed-up, smash it with a hammer, and spare yourself the headaches...