HDD has no partition and it's write protected

revett

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hello,

I have a 500gb HDD model WDC WD50 which was installed in a Laptop and it's now connect to my PC.
When I go to Windows disk management it shows as Unknown - Not initialized - Not Alocated. If I try to make it Online it will give me an cyclic redundancy error. If I try to initialize it, I can't because option is greyed out. If I try to low format it, it says that device is write protected, even if I try to low format it using the Western Digital format tool.
How can I remove the write protection from it? Is there a way to bring this HDD back? It is brand new :(

Thanks!

Solution
So you did these steps:

1) Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
2) On the disk selection screen, press SHIFT+F10. A Command Prompt window opens.
3) Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.
4) Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.

And then the disk isn't listed?

revett

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
saii, PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits, laptop were running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I try to set a partition style to this HDD, system won't let me, saying it's write protected.

revett

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Vollman, if you're talking about the advanced partition settings in Windows install, forget it. tried all the options, and it will come up with an error saying that I can't create a partition, probably because of the goddamn write protection (that I'd never set, btw...)

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
So you did these steps:

1) Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
2) On the disk selection screen, press SHIFT+F10. A Command Prompt window opens.
3) Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.
4) Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.

And then the disk isn't listed?

Solution

revett

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
ok, I put it back to the laptop and now it was detected. selected it and then typed "clean all". It's still "thinking", I don't know how long it takes. HDD led is lit, so let's see. Will update you in a few!

revett

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Good try, but it didn't work. Apparently, the disk was cleared but Windows installer keeps saying that I can't install / create a partition in that disk. I didn't had time to perform more tests after clearing it up, but the prospect isn't good. I will check this weekend. I believe I have a major physical issue with this HDD... Meh.

Either way, thanks for your time Vollman. You and everyone else who tried to help...